Thinking of adding to our flock but.......

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JanetS, Feb 14, 2013.

1. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    We are thinking of adding some chicks (when they are old enough) to our year old flock of hens. Our problem is they can't free range because of predators We are thinking of building a temp coop and small run for the chicks that will be right beside our hens so they would see each other all the time. When the chicks are old enough we would open both the runs together. Do you think this will work?

2. Lifestudent

Lifestudent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    I want to know the answer to this too because we're planning on adding to our flock soon too. Ours have the run of the backyard, but we'll still be introducing younguns to the ones that are about a year old now.

3. tmayk

tmayk Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    we introduced 11 new members to our flock (when predators had gotten to several of our first flock and dwindled it down to just 3 hens and a roo) When the chicks were big enough to be outside during the day we put them in a dog crate in the middle of the run. they stayed out there for a few weeks and once the night warmed up we closed off a portion of the coop and had them sleep on there, separate but still "with" the big girls. Then we opened up the dog crate during the day and set up a small door that only the pullets could fit in so they had a safe place to run to if the bigs went after them. They we did the same in the coop with a couple of the nesting boxes (our nesting boxes are large). The little girls were always given a safe space to get away from the bigs if need be. When the littles were too big to fit in the safe space doors they were also big enough not to need the safe space. They all live in harmony now.. although the 3 original hens are now gone and its basically the new girls and the roo (who is being rehomed tomorrow) we will begin adding in some new flock members next month and will use the same method because it worked so well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by