Thinking of an experiment

How are the babies progressing? I have noticed the 25 Rangers I ordered are 1 week old now, and are almost as big as my 3 week old EEs. Its crazy how fast they are growing. They are also heavy compaired to the EEs, like solid little buggers.

How are the babies progressing? I have noticed the 25 Rangers I ordered are 1 week old now, and are almost as big as my 3 week old EEs. Its crazy how fast they are growing. They are also heavy compaired to the EEs, like solid little buggers.
They are getting big. I'll get some pictures this afternoon and some weights. Active little buggers and hard to catch.

Well, the battery is dead in my scale and it takes those stupid button batteries that I don't have spares of, so no weights today, but I got a couple close up pictures and group pictures. Warning, I am no photographer.

The dark one, from a BA hen, is perched on my wrist. The lighter one, from a SS hen, is on the scale, but there is no real way to reference size in that one. They are 2 weeks old today. Way to early to determine sex, but some have substantial comb development already.

As another size reference, the waterer in the brooder is a quart size.

20210424_135503.jpg
20210424_135453.jpg
20210424_135340.jpg
20210424_135544.jpg

The first batch turned 3 weeks yesterday. They are not cooperating with getting weighed. There is a pretty big size difference with some of them and some defined combs.

My newest batch started hatching last night and finished up this morning. Of the 12 that made it to lockdown, all hatched, however one BA chick is having a hard time staying upright and its head keeps twisting back. Made sure it got some NutriDrench. It's the one sleeping on the left side of the picture in the brooder. Seems to be ok now.

Got weights on all of these guys. The ones from SS eggs are 34-38 grams. The BA are 48-51 grams. 7 SS and 5 BA. Just like last time, one BA is yellow and the rest are dark. If it's like the other one, I won't be able to pick it out from the SS in a couple weeks.

20210502_110449.jpg
20210502_105935.jpg

Time for a quick update. It was pouring rain, so they were all in the back of their tractor. Yes, there are 13 birds in there and it was a rare chance of getting a group shot. At least 7 are cockerels. Getting some nice size to them. The pullets are half the size. This is the only picture that turned out, but you can see most of the boys. They are 9 weeks old in the picture.

20210613_112124.jpg

Back
Top Bottom