Thinking of building new bator?????????

digger455

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 25, 2010
My thinking always gets me in trouble. But anyway I was thinking of building a new bator. Could I use the heater and other stuff off of my little giant one. It is hard to keep warm to temp so with good insulation and better box would it be better. Would like to make it a little bigger but maybe that would make it harder to get up to speed. What thoughts are out there?? Thanks for help

Digger

GO FOR IT!! the element isnt very hard to get out. most homeade bators ive seen use heat lights as the heat source, and hot water heater thermostats seem to be popular. i just got an old kitchen cabinet and am collecting other materials needed. One very interesting article i read, about helping the bator hold heat said to put a brick or two, or some big rocks, or jar or two of water, because air is a poor conductor of heat, and looses heat easily. supposidly, when u open a bator, it doesnt take as much effort for the element to heat back up if you have brick or stone or whatever putting off heat. It does make sense when you think about it. Good luck, and please post what you try.

What size are you thinking of building? I am currently making one out of an old metal bakery proofer. Its 6 ft tall!
big_smile.png
There is a gentleman on Ebay who sells detailed plans on how to build a five tray cabinet bator. I bought some plans for a two tray from him before I got my proofer. Can't remember his name, but he always has listings under the poultry section. If I recall the plans are only like $12 for the CD. He now sells them completely built for a little over $200, but the shipping is around $60. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom