Thinking of getting a bunny...what type to get?

rilly10

Clover Field Farm
9 Years
May 18, 2010
Pottstown, PA
I had a bunny who I LOVED but mysteriously passed away while I was on my honeymoon in June. She was an ADORABLE black holland lop. She was fine when I left but died while I was away. All I was told by the sitter was that her one eye turned white for a day or two and then she died. She was burried by the sitter because my vet no longer does necropsys other than animals that die at the clinic so I don't know what ever happened which killed me.

I finally feel ready to get another bunny. I was wondering if anyone could advise me on a breed. I would like a small breed that is very friendly. Also should I get a boy or a girl as a pet? I have always had girls but none have ever been particularly friendly. My Holland Lop was my favorite but even she hated to be held.

Any reccommendations on breed, sex, or a breeder in PA would be MUCH appreciated!

ETA- Sorry I can't spell lol!
hide.gif

Last edited:
I would try a male this time. Females tend to be more territorial. As to breeds... I have a Dwarf Hotot and then meat rabbits that weigh 9-12 lbs. Breeds that come to mind are the dwarf Hotots, Britania Petits, Mini Lops, Lion Heads, I think there is a mini Angora and whatever thos dwarf black and white ones are.
I would look at the ARBAvbreeder page and try and find a breeder close. Or try the 4-H rabbit club. Try and get your new rabbit just after weaning and spend lots of time with it to try and make it friendlier than your last one.

I think its called a Rex, but they arent the smallest, but our 2 arent very big..the boy is about 7-8 pounds and the female is 5-6 pounds. they both are very feindly mine is brown and white and it all fades to grey on her tummy and my sisters is black and white. good luck with your search!
tongue.png

Neuter whichever gender and you'll usually get a better, easier going pet but it costs about as much as a cat or small dog for even a smaller rabbit. They'll have less attitude and won't have as much desire to mark territory especially the males. Not neutered the males tend to make slightly better pets since they have less attitude than intact females but they may spray out of their cage or on things just like other unaltered pets.

For small rabbits I only have experience with mini rex (~4lbs) and 1 dutch(~5lbs). The dutch was a shy but friendly rabbit that made a good snuggle bunny. He'd watch movies with me and just lay there the whole time. We decided to neuter and rehome him as a class room pet for a junior high teacher so we could concentrate on breeding purebred mini rex. All but 1 of our mini rex are great rabbits. 1 doe is very aggressive which would probably be solved by spaying her but they aren't so much pets as meat rabbits and show stock so I'm not interested in spending the money to spay her. Her brother is also a bit high strung but an amusing little rabbit who is easily handled by adults. The mini rex doe my husband bought me has the typical female attitude but is a very friendly rabbit who's kits have turned out to be wonderful pets for people. She just thumps a lot and occasionally squeaks out her displeasure at having her personal bubble invaded. My chocolate pair I got from a breeder who was selling out their mini rex herd and they are the most laid back rabbits. The buck is especially friendly and easy going. He'll follow us around the horse barn or house and has to greet every animal including things that might eat him like dogs or step on him like horses. We have to make sure he isn't under foot. I also have a pair of blues from another breeder selling out their blue mini rex but they weren't handled much so while they are nice rabbits they can be a bit wiggly when you first pick them up. Personally I would avoid lionheads unless you find a really good breeder. They tend to have a lot of health problems. Particularly if you buy petstore type rabbits.

Your best bet with any breed is to find someone who breeds a moderate to small number of rabbits at a time and handles them a lot. Then ask to see the parents and handle related rabbits so you get a better idea what their personality will be like. Individuals of any breed can vary widely. Avoid petstores who buy from large or millbreeders who don't handle their rabbits. The ARBA has breeder listings as well as show listings. Contact a few breeders of what you might be interested in or drop by a show and look around. A lot of people bring a few extra rabbits to sell or will meet up with you at the next show with the rabbit you want and often you can handle the parents right there.

Why not go on Petfinder and look for a rescued rabbit? I bet you could find plenty of small rabbits up for adoption. They will already be spayed or neutered and health checked. Plus there are so many that need a loving home.

I actually have been looking on Petfinder and even called about a few bunnies but haven't found one that seems to be the one. Many of them are older, meat rabbit crosses, or not friendly. This is going to be living as a house pet and I really want one that has been handled from a young age. I rescued 2 bunnies in the past (both before the one I just lost) and both had terrible health problems and died at very early ages. I would really like to find a breeder that works to better the breed and breeds for temperment and health also.

I agree with trying resue associations.
We brought home a 3 year old Holland Lop from the SPCA two months ago. Like you we lost our first rabbit (female also).
George is lovely (his photo in my avatar) ...I hesitated taking an adult because I too wanted a young rabbit (although they had bunnies) that I could socialize.
I walked by George`s cage and just knew he would be coming home with me.
Included in the adoption fee of $75 was George`s neutering AND a free vet check. Can`t beat that! Around here we pay $75 for a vet exam alone.
He has turned out to be a marvelous pet and I am glad that we gave him a home.
During my search I also found several lovely young rabbits from a rescue organization that were living in foster homes where they were well socialized and handled frequently.
Good luck with your search.

Thanks for your story! I will keep looking on Petfinder! I actually emailed about a really cute boy last night! Hopefully I hear back!

get a holland lop buck. Mine is a tort buck he is so sweet and dosnt mind being held.

my does are a chocolate polish, shes a freak! ive only been able to touch her like 2 time since Aug.

and a lion head, shes shy but sweet. dosnt like to be held

I have two "rescues". One I got from a cage in the sun at a chicken swap....she is a rex and is not friendly at all. Very scared. The other was a craigslist bunny......he is a lionhead mix and is hilarious. Very friendly although he isnt' a fan of being held or picked up. But he runs around and plays and is always at the front of the cage wanting out.

My local "big shelter" has a room full of bunnies. Their adoption fee is $25 for 1 or $40 for two....including the spay/neuter! That is super cheap. Spays are $125 here and neuters are $100....at the CHEAPEST. Which is why mine aren't fixed, ha.

If you can find a place with a bunch of bunnies, you may have better luck finding the right one.......or check craigslist. There are going to probably be quite a few "christmas bunnies" that the kids lose interest in, in the next few weeks/months. "kid bunnies" are often very friendly.

Back
Top Bottom