thinking of getting a dog......breed help required?

actually a well bred well socilized belgian malinois could absolutly fit the bill, they are a hard workign farm dog, bred to do a job (often used as police dogs) they are loyal, incredibly easy to train and eagar to please and will give their life for their families, they are GREAT with their people, especially their kids, but tend to be warey of strangers, protective of their family without being overly agressive.
and they LOOK intimidating

they are typically great with THEIR animals, they are shedders like the gsd but generally a low upkeep on the coat.

id definatly put them on a posibilities list.

id also look into
a well bred Beauceron
Groenendael (Belgian sheepdog)
Bouvier des Flandres (big and intimidating, great with kids but due to size watch the little ones around a boisterous puppy...)
Briard
German Shepherd Dog
possibly the giant schnauzer
a WELL bred rottie might work
Berger Picard (winn dixie)

being in belgum you have acess to breds like the picard that are still considered rare (or even unheard of) here in the states.

i think given family, farm with land, looking for a protective but not agressive dog thats generally wash and wear, easy keeper who can keep up with you on hikes, be relitivly eager to learn and not too difficult to train one of the herding family (gsd for example) would be a great choice.

while your right to be warey of health issues, this can be avoided by finding a GOOD breeder who does health testing, and it might be worth finding one who not only does conformtation but feild trials, a breeder who rbeeds dogs that can still do the jobs they were bred for.
europe is certainly not immune to the form over function mentallity, but it seems that europe has many more good breeders who value FUNcTION as well as form than there are in the USA.

given the age of your kids and what your looking for id personally go with a good breeder, but definatly check the shelters to see if the right dog is there. you never know what your goin to find
smile.png

I'll toss a vote to doberman as well.

I've got a greyhound that can kick his butt speed wise, but she quits after a few minutes. He will run and run and run ALL. DAY. LONG. and he does lol
With him and our dane, people keep their distance from the door until we step outside. Once introduced and told all is fine, they are happy to meet the new visitors. But both are big ol happy family dogs.

Quote:
A correctly tempered anatolian (or other LGD) should accept strangers and non family members that the owner accepts. They should only be agressive to threats.

Oh I know, I didn't mean that Anatolians or any dog breed are aggressive all the time. What I meant is that a serious dog like the Anatolian could be more demanding than the OP is wanting by way of "guard dog".

I have had Dobermans for over 25 years with my tenth and eleventh generation girls sleeping on the sofa as I type...they are worth their weight in gold...my sis has two from me and has eleven grand children...they are great with kids if kids and dogs are properly educated in correct interaction...my three get on great with my ducks and geese...close coated, minimal grooming and shedding, lots of energy but they do have an off switch when it is necessary...they like my kitty girls too...they are very intelligent and trainable...I have always loved them for their smarts...they know what I am going to do before I do, pick up words and phrases very readily...you could not ask for better...over the years I have witnessed many acts of incredible intelligence, memory, behaviors...once you have had one, lived with it and loved it, there is no other breed that stacks up...
I have had many different breeds over the years, GSPs, Greyhounds, Iggys, Dacksies, Bull dogs, muttts, an Ibizan Hound...none of them held a candle to the Dobermans...

If I didn't have to have a long-haired dog due to allergies, (I love my bijon-pomeranian rescue), I'd get a Boxer... in a heart-beat. My sister's "Sugar Ray" is the most wonderful, patient, gentle, obedient, and sweet dog I have ever met. She's now a dear old lady with an almost all white face, but is still a sweet love. Sugar Ray has helped raise three children, been climbed on, drooled on, poked at, sat on, fallen over, and NEVER so much as nudged back. She is a poster-child for the perfect family dog. She has also lived with several cats, so domestic short hairs, some pure bred persians...no tensions. She's just the best. Hope you'll consider adding boxers to your list!

mm

all the breeds mentioned are large breeds. which of them,,,, I go Doberman .. easily trained, not big hair everywhere, no drewl, smart, smart, smart,..

but ya now the first breed that came to mind when you were listing what you wanted the dog to do as part of the family was A Beagle,, the 13 in. they're small enough to be a good house size for winter. great walking jogging partner, have a great family protective instinct. very trainable, great with kids and other animals. as a farm animals they are a very nice choice..

big dogs,,
dobermans, GSD's and Great Danes,,,all three are fantastic family farm dogs..
big_smile.png

if you want small but still able to get the job done.. Welsh corgis are a great way to go..

just some ideas

have fun with you dog of choice.
thumbsup.gif

)O(
Pink

technically, GSDs are medium-sized dogs. I believe that dobes are considered medium as well.

Great danes are large and the other 2 breeds aren't (or shouldn't!) be anywhere near as big.

Oh, I forgot about Bouvier!! They are FANTASTIC dogs, if you don't mind caring for their coat. They are incredible with children and wonderful family protectors. They do make a mess at the water bowl with their beards though, but that is the only down side to them.

Being a herding breed, I would not expect a Bouv to not chase livestock. They are also VERY stand up guard dogs. They require good consistent early training and socialization, and should never be unfenced. In addition the coat requires extensive grooming frequently which the OP specifically mentioned they did not want.

Back
Top Bottom