Thinking of getting a roo for my mixed flock

SSFowler

Songster
Apr 19, 2019
Poteet, Texas
I have a pretty mixed flock consisting of a Production Red, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, an EE, 2 Barred Rocks and 3 Orpingtons. One Orpington is trying to go broody. I had previously considered a roo and am now thinking more seriously about it. My problem is I don't know what breed I should get due to the mixed flock and the new chicks would definitely be mixed so I wouldn't know what kind of layers the pullets would grow up to be among other issues there could be. Could someone recommend a good breed I could try? Preferably a breed that isn't aggressive. Thanks in advance.

Your best bet for a non aggressive rooster is to get an older roo from a breeder. Good breeders don't keep birds that are troublesome and an older rooster will be past his hormonal phase and more aware of his role in the flock.

If I were you, I would be get one of the breeds you already have so some percentage of the eggs would be pure. If you could get an ameraucana or or other blue egglaying breed (preferably not EEs- they might not have 2 blue egg genes) you could get some blue or green egg laying mixes also. But do whatever you want! Not what random people in the internet say

If I were you, I would be get one of the breeds you already have so some percentage of the eggs would be pure. If you could get an ameraucana or or other blue egglaying breed (preferably not EEs- they might not have 2 blue egg genes) you could get some blue or green egg laying mixes also. But do whatever you want! Not what random people in the internet say
Good idea. I had considered an Orpington roo since it is an Orpington that is trying to be broody. Makes sense. But colorful eggs are fun too. :D Definitely something to think about. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom