Thinking of getting a turkey...

binza1979

Songster
12 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Utah
My husband really wants a turkey. We already have 24 chickens and 3 ducks. We have a dog that tries to eat the poultry every chance he gets.

So, here are my questions....can a turkey be raised without a friend. Can a turkey intermingle with chickens?

Thanks!

Depending on where you live blackhead may or may not be an issue- however if it is a male (tom) turkey he will more than likely kill a chicken hen when he attempts to mate one.

I live in SW Missouri and raise them with my chickens quite well. I actually enjoy the turkeys more than the chickens because they seem to be more people friendly.

I just surprised my guy with a Royal Palm tom turkey. He had been wanting one for a while and I kept saying no to another animal. However...the minute I laid eyes on this guy I was sunk! He is very friendly, follows me around like a dog, and hates to be alone. He has so much personality. We are trying to find him a hen for company..but so far no luck. I would definitely say he is lonely. He is two years old and has never seen a turkey hen, but he was kept with about 12 chickens and a duck. The people we got him from said that he was very protective of the chickens and that they had not had any problems with predators. They also said the only time he left (flew) the topless coop..was if the neighbors children were outside playing. Apparently he loves children.
I was also wanting a couple of chickens, and around here I see many people who have turkeys and chickens together, but after reading about blackhead..I'm nervous. I haven't yet been able to find information through the extension service about whether it is endemic in this area or not. When I was a kid we kept them together....but now I am the paranoid caretaker and afraid of losing him.
Mostly I just wanted to chime in and say..I love the turkey, and I don't regret getting him =)

Back
Top Bottom