Thinking of getting chicks but I don't have a clue how to take care of them

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kassidysanimals, Apr 3, 2016.

1. kassidysanimals

kassidysanimals New Egg

Apr 3, 2016
    Hi I only have ducks and I'm looking into getting chickens I have no idea which breed and no idea how to take care of chickens. Can they go in with ducks if it's free range? How many should I get? How many cockerels for pollutes? Do they have to be in at night? Any other advice would be great

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi! You will just LOVE♡♡♡ having chickens! It is usually 10 Hens for 1 Rooster. Any LESS females could result in over mating and can harm the females. chickens are vulnerable to predators as are ducks I'm sure. They are usually brought into a henhouse when sunsets and brought back outside at sun rise. The breed depends on what your looking for. if you want a good laying hen of large Brown Eggs that's Docile, friendly, smart,and good looking I suggest the Barred plymouth Rock or just " Barred Rock" You can order sexed females early in the year about January and many many breeds are available then and plan to have them hatch-ship like in April when the weather is warmer. That's what I did this year.if you order then PLENTY females are available.it's a little late for hatcheries orders now as most breeds only have males left.However sometimes they do have may through August hatchlings you might consider. Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun! :)

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    First. Build a coop. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by