Thinking of "lending" my 7 yr old black Lab...

2468Chickensrgr8

Songster
12 Years
Nov 7, 2007
Ontario
to my parents.....my mother(mid 70's) has really started to become forgetfull and somewhat depressed..not getting out of bed/eating...she has a doctors appt. this month....
When we go away she LOVES looking after our female 7 yr old black lab...who's a fantastic lovable laid back well behaved chunky mama.......after 3 C sections and a spaying....I think it would give my mom a purpose .
Has anyone every done this?and what was your experience?
4785_horses_winter_2008_2009_129.jpg

I think it is a wonderful idea.....

BUT...yes there is always a but....

if she is getting forgetful you want to make sure she remembers to feed the dog and take her for walks and ......well you get the point

do you live close enough to her that you can check on them daily?

sometimes when seniors are forgetful they will think that they have fed the dog or walked it, but they have not.

I see it everyday at work..we will set the stuff for the resident to clean up and get ready for bed and remind them that the stuff is there. I will go back and check on them 30 minutes later they are in their PJ's and in bed but its clear that they have not washed up they are in a soiled brief. They will swear up and down that they changed and washed but the face cloths and towels are still dry...

so if you are going to do this, go to her house in the morning to let the dog out, feed her ect...and then return in the evening and then again before bed time. So in essence you are still the primary caregiver for your dog but at your moms house.

(p.s. on another note if you need help with suggestions on helping mom PM me...we live right down the road from you *** home depot we met**)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a wonderful idea; I too have experience in nursing homes. Pets can be the best thing that ever happened to seniors in this condition, when they are fond of them. You are right, gives them a purpose; probably treats depression better than any pill.

I hope the supervision aspect of it will not be a real problem for you.

Thanks for replying .....yes i'll PM you mjsdhs.....thats what I am worried about if she forgets to feeds her....because I work at home ...do you think when i do phone her in the morning I could phone her and ask her to feed Orchid while i wait...?.my step dad's home ...somewhat...he also works off and on....and my niece whos in her teens is their through the week .....
We live about 20 minutes away
In the past she has walked Orchid which is good because they both walk slow.....Orchid is really a couch potato...does not like water...getting her toes wet ...rain....I cannot walk her with my retriever because its like pulling a ball and chain with her...

Back
Top Bottom