Thinking of ordering some duck eggs. Any good suggestions?

S Family farm

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 18, 2012
Central FL
Been thinking about ordering some ducklings or eggs to incubate to add to my farm here in fl.
Any suggestions on ducks?
Also thinking about geese and swan??

Thank you

Do you want ducks with good egg production? If so, the Golden 300 Hybrids are supposed to be some of the best. Also, Kahki Campbells are great layers, and mine is very laid-back, but I've heard that some can be a bit "excitable," while 300s are calm. If you want an exotic breed on the other hand, and don't care about egg production, or if you just want a pet, that can change what kind of breed you want. I think it's really personal preference when it comes down to it, as well as what you want them for.

Been thinking about ordering some ducklings or eggs to incubate to add to my farm here in fl.

Any suggestions on ducks? Depends on what you want them for. Khaki Campbells and Runners are great for eggs. Muscovies are great for broodies. Some people prefer bantam like calls.

Also thinking about geese and swan??

Geese are great additions and can be excellent foster parents. Unless you have a large amount of land and a nice pond set up I would wait a little more on the swans

Thank you

It really does depend on what you're looking for.
The Golden 300s are great layers, but - correct me if I'm wrong- they are sterile when you try to breed a G 300 to a G 300?

Khaki Campbells are also excellent egg layers, but they do have a tendency to be skittish, and do posess the ability to fly short distances. If you google "Duckling Diary" or such, a man does have a blog about raising his 7 female Campbells from day olds to adults. Very informative read.

My personal favorite would have to be the Welsh Harlequins. Gorgeous breed, lay very well, and (I'm a vegetarian, but if you eat meat) they are a good meat breed as well. Very Multi-purpose, LOL.

My personal favorite would have to be the Welsh Harlequins. Gorgeous breed, lay very well, and (I'm a vegetarian, but if you eat meat) they are a good meat breed as well. Very Multi-purpose, LOL.
My personal favorite duck breed is Cayuga, for the same reasons: gorgeous black with the iridescent green and blue and purple sheen, lay very well, and are a good meat duck as well if you are so inclined to eat your own birds. They are also a relatively quiet breed. My girls rarely quack at all, and when they do, they're nowhere near as loud as is the mallard cross next door. The drakes just gabble.

My personal favorite duck breed is Cayuga, for the same reasons: gorgeous black with the iridescent green and blue and purple sheen, lay very well, and are a good meat duck as well if you are so inclined to eat your own birds. They are also a relatively quiet breed. My girls rarely quack at all, and when they do, they're nowhere near as loud as is the mallard cross next door. The drakes just gabble.

Yeah, Cayugas are my favorite too. :) They're also very laid-back and their feathers are as soft as silk.

My personal favourite are calls just because they're so small and adorable. Not sure what they're like to breed tho and i get an egg a day 6 days a week (im not too worried about egg production)

There is no bad breed of duck. You can not make a mistake.

There are a few breeds that excel at producing either meat or eggs, so that might affect your choice of breed. Other than that, get the ones you like to look at.

Back
Top Bottom