Thinking of quail

Ah ok. The coop and run are pretty much empty all day, with the ducks and chickens out and about, so really the only problem would be at night. Is it OK for them to sleep in the same area? Or would I need to build a new coop/run for em?

Is it better to get them young or matured?

Coturnix quail can start laying eggs when they are 6-8 weeks old.
So getting mature ones would not save you much time!

Quail chicks are very tiny, which could cause trouble shipping them through the mail--I tend to see quite a few eggs for sale and not many chicks or adult quail for sale.

Coturnix quail can start laying eggs when they are 6-8 weeks old.
So getting mature ones would not save you much time!

Quail chicks are very tiny, which could cause trouble shipping them through the mail--I tend to see quite a few eggs for sale and not many chicks or adult quail for sale.
I wouldn't have them shipped, there's a feed and seed near me that sells em

I wouldn't have them shipped, there's a feed and seed near me that sells em

In that case, whatever age they sell is the easiest to start with :)

If they have all ages, then adults would save you the bother of brooding the first ones, but they have a short enough lifespan that you would probably be brooding new ones each year after the first.

In that case, whatever age they sell is the easiest to start with :)

If they have all ages, then adults would save you the bother of brooding the first ones, but they have a short enough lifespan that you would probably be brooding new ones each year after the first.
Ok! Another thing, will the hens go broody and hatch their own? (If i end up getting a male one, of course)

Coturnix are your best bet. No, they don’t go broody. That said, there is a thread going on right now where someone actually does have a broody quail hen. What type does your store sell? They should know which breeds require a permit or are restricted, but don’t forgo your own research.
The guy I got mine from did have them semi free range BUT its not recommended. They are very flighty. Chicks are so stinking cute! Its crazy how tiny they are.
How many do you want to start with?

Coturnix are your best bet. No, they don’t go broody. That said, there is a thread going on right now where someone actually does have a broody quail hen. What type does your store sell? They should know which breeds require a permit or are restricted, but don’t forgo your own research.
The guy I got mine from did have them semi free range BUT its not recommended. They are very flighty. Chicks are so stinking cute! Its crazy how tiny they are.
How many do you want to start with?
They have coturnix for sure, and sometimes different ones. Could you link the thread? And I 'm probably gonna start with 5 or so. Also, if flight is a concern can their wings be clipped?

I’m a new quail keeper who was gifted 9 quail from a fellow chicken breeder. The last month has been a whirlwind of researching for me! Here are some things I’ve learned:

• Don’t mix quail & chickens. Quail being in contact with chicken poops can pass on some illnesses that are more deadly to quail.

• Quail enjoy cozy, predator proof coops. Mine are by themselves in a grow out pen I typically use for chicken chicks. Most people keep them in a wire bottom rabbit hutch or specially built quail hutch. You have to use 1/4 or 1/2 inch hardware cloth on everything without fail. Everything eats quail, including mice and smaller rat snakes. The roof should be 24 inches high or LESS so the quail don’t break their necks if they startle and leap upwards in a panic. An aviary (kind of like a chicken run) with a 6 foot ceiling is also safe. Quail coops are much easier to build yourself than chicken coops.

• We are building a very predator proof, ground contact quail coop *inside* a high fenced vegetable garden (so technically double caged) to keep our breeding stock quail in. Supposedly ground contact with natural grasses or straw around helps encourage broodiness in quail hens.

• Look at the different Coturnix feather & egg colors then select what you would like to have. Craig’s list has had multiple quail breeders with hatching eggs for sale. If you want meat and blue eggs, you need to find someone breeding Jumbo Celadon coturnix quail. These are a breeding project and not yet widely offered. If you want to only use 2 or 3 quail eggs to equal a chicken egg in cooking, get Jumbos. If you love the cute little eggs, get standard size Coturnix, which come in all the pretty colors. Celadon (blue egg laying) Coturnix are standard size unless specifically listed as being Jumbo.

I hope this helps!
It does, thank you

Mice don't attack quails, as birds ... but they like the quail feed and will carry diseases into the coop.

So they are no predator, but a pest, harming quail.

Mice don't attack quails, as birds ... but they like the quail feed and will carry diseases into the coop.

So they are no predator, but a pest, harming quail.
I have too many hawks and stray cats, so I don’t know first hand, but I often see people claiming mice can eat quail toes, and even scalp and kill young birds, which is why I included them.

Back
Top Bottom