Thinking on some Chickens

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Welcome! I'm new to chickens, just started in May. About the only thing I did right was buy a large enough coop! We have had to rebuild the run and extend their pen area. ..chicken math. I thought 4 chicks, ha there's 10 out there! And 7 babies in garage brooder. We have a lil over half an acre. They're all doing great. I have loved every minute. Now, if they would start laying. ..

Gritsar - Hey Gritty haven't seen your name on here for ages
frow.gif
We must have gone in different directions when the new BYC format rolled out.

Well after coming home from work and looking at coop and brooder designs, it looks like the wife might be more excited to get started than me. Where do most if you guys get your chicks. I see lots of post about Mcmurry but they have a 15 bird minimum and I only want 5 birds. I see all the horror stories about buying chicks off craigslist. It looks like most hatcheries are out of them anyway. Where can a man get just 5 chicks?

Well after coming home from work and looking at coop and brooder designs, it looks like the wife might be more excited to get started than me. Where do most if you guys get your chicks. I see lots of post about Mcmurry but they have a 15 bird minimum and I only want 5 birds. I see all the horror stories about buying chicks off craigslist. It looks like most hatcheries are out of them anyway. Where can a man get just 5 chicks?
This time of year? Pretty much nowhere. Some of the hatcheries might still have a small selection, but springtime is chick time. Being in Texas your Tractor Supply Company store might do a fall Chick Days, if you have Atwoods stores there, they might too.
After the disaster I had with ordering from Mc Murray this past June, I would never recommend them.

How close are you to Cameron, Texas? Ideal Hatchery is located there. My oldest birds, my beloved brahmas, all came from Ideal. Ideal allows pick up at the hatchery and I'm not sure but I think you can purchase less birds by picking up at the hatchery. The reason for the 15 bird minimum (or in the case of Ideal, $25 minimum) is to ensure that there will be enough chicks in the box to keep each other warm. Wouldn't hurt to call and ask about the minimum chick amount for pickup. Their phone number is 254.697.6677

Back
Top Bottom