Thinking rooster? Advice on aggression

khloee

Songster
Aug 10, 2020
So I know a few people that have a rooster that they might want to get rid of. I'm wanting a rooster mainly for hatching chicks. One of the possible roosters I know is aggressive. Is there a way to break a rooster, or make him not as aggressive. One is an Australorp, beautiful boy but is aggressive. The other is an Americana, I'm not sure of the temperament of this bird. I know that roosters can be aggressive from time to time, but I've also heard of people having indoor pet roosters. How do you get a rooster to be gentle enough to be a house pet, but live outdoors 😂 ? Another question is which of the two would you guy prefer if it were your decision?

Well I’ve never had an americauna, but I’ve had an aracauna or however you spell it, which I’m pretty sure is one of the birds used to breed Americaunas (I thought?) and he was a jerk from a young age. I’ve never had an Austrolorp rooster so I can’t help you there. The best way I know to keep a rooster tame is to just spend time with them. All of my roosters (I have way too many :() were handraised and all respect me and don’t mess with me, except for my sebright rooster who’s just a jerk. This doesn’t always work seeing as my first rooster was doted on and he was a monster (he was a Dominique so that does play into it). So basically try to spend time with your boy, hand feed him, get to know him. But make sure he respects you. Don’t be afraid to put him in his place if he gets nasty. Out of all the roosters I have and have had, I’ve only had like four buttholes out of like fifteen I’ve had over the years. I’ve also noticed that my super mean one chilled out when he was free ranged so space does seem to play into it.

What Oncoming Storm said. Also, don't be afraid to let him come at you (if that means getting within picking him up range). Don't let him know he scares you/makes you nervous. We had a street Easter Egger who terrorized the neighbors. One day I walked out and he came after me. Got my legs pretty good, but I stood my ground and reached down and picked him up and held him firmly, then gave him pets. The next time I went out there and he came at me, I stood my ground and even aggressively stepped towards him. He stopped short and gave me the side eye, but didn't try anything. Just gotta establish yourself as the boss roo ;).

That’s some great advice guys. Also what’s your thoughts on trimming or removing spurs?

The behavior of a cock/erel has much to do with how the humans behave.
I just nip the very tips of spurs off and file smooth.
Toenails can cause injuries too.

The behavior of a cock/erel has much to do with how the humans behave.
I just nip the very tips of spurs off and file smooth.
Toenails can cause injuries too.
*shiver* my sebrights toenails are more dangerous than his spurs! I don’t really mess with my roosters spurs since it’s so rare for one to come at me save Tiny who’s literally just a jerk :p

Back
Top Bottom