Thinks she is the mama?

that_crazy_lady

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 13, 2008
Salina, OK
I've got this EE hen, had her a about a month now. she is the only adult bird I have, but i've got 9 chicks 4-8weeks old in a brooder that she can get right up to. The hen had been laying aprox every other day, then she went broody on two fake eggs that I endded up taking from her.
Now every time I check on the birds she is laying next too the brooder, and she has stoped laying. I've been letting the chicks jump out when I feed them, and befor she went broody she would give them a peck if they got too close. now she stoped all pecking, and fallows them around, and today she was calling to them. She was even letting them pick at her feathers. so I'm thinking she thinks they are her babys, and that is why she is not laying

what do you all think?

You could just see if see will take over, then you could save on electricity! But that won't help the egg situation! If she does think she is 'mom' you can't make her lay untill she is ready anyway..

One of my silkies adopted my polish bantams when they were a month old. She was very happy to have 8 babies, but they didn't seem to care much for their adopted mother. I would say that is what your hen did.

yep she must, last night when I picked up one of the chicks I miss both wings and it started sqwaking & flapping and she jumped at my hands and bit me. It was cold out and I had gloves on, so no big deal.

I would let her have them, but the brooder is too small and I'm useing part of a stock trailer as a coop, and some of the cats will get in there, I can't fill in all the holes. And it's been so cold I would leave the heat lamp on any ways. but at least I know now why she stoped laying.

Back
Top Bottom