Third attempt at incubating.

Pics
Question: I have two eggs in the incubator that are questionable when candled. One has nothing... the second has one dark spot (an eye?) and nothing else. As of today I have one week left until day 21... so it's day 14. The three other eggs left are all "dark", cannot be candled as they are completely dark.

Not to state the obvious, but three eggs are full of (still developing) chicks. Two eggs are dead.

Comments?

(BTW, this is a great site for day-by-day pictures of what's going on behind the shell: https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/embryonic-development-day-by-day)

I have two eggs in the incubator that are questionable when candled. One has nothing... the second has one dark spot (an eye?) and nothing else. As of today I have one week left until day 21... so it's day 14.
Sounds like a dud and a quitter.

The three other eggs left are all "dark", cannot be candled as they are completely dark.
You can't even see the air cell?
Are shells very dark or.....???
Day 14 won't have totally filled the shell with chick yet.

1615900736454.png

I think I have a poor candler. I have ordered a new one.
Just about any fairly decent LED flashlight, with fresh batteries, will work.
Key for me is a very dark room,
and keeping any stray light between candler and egg from blinding you.
I am lucky in that I have a windowless room 15' away from the incubator,
so I can close the door and candle any time of day.

You know, all you experts out there, sometimes you need to explain to the newbies the simplest, most obvious, “only a dummy couldn’t figure it out”, instructions.

I humbly admit I am such a dummy.

To see the air sac, space, area,...whatever it’s called, you need to turn the egg on its SIDE. AHA! There it is!

is it supposed to get bigger? Or smaller?

You know, all you experts out there, sometimes you need to explain to the newbies the simplest, most obvious, “only a dummy couldn’t figure it out”, instructions.

I humbly admit I am such a dummy.

To see the air sac, space, area,...whatever it’s called, you need to turn the egg on its SIDE. AHA! There it is!

is it supposed to get bigger? Or smaller?
candling2.jpg

The air cell gets bigger over the first 18 days

Back
Top Bottom