Third attempt at incubating.

Pics
Lockdown will begin tomorrow at 12:00 noonish.

I have 6 eggs that are in the incubator that were started on 3/7 at noon as well. Those I will transfer to a .... hmmmm.

I have a second incubator that I have all set to go. I think I will move the three eggs into the second incubator (as opposed to the 6) for hatching, as oppposed to the 6 eggs still baking.

Comments? Yes, no...??

Lockdown will begin tomorrow at 12:00 noonish.

I have 6 eggs that are in the incubator that were started on 3/7 at noon as well. Those I will transfer to a .... hmmmm.

I have a second incubator that I have all set to go. I think I will move the three eggs into the second incubator (as opposed to the 6) for hatching, as oppposed to the 6 eggs still baking.

Comments? Yes, no...??
Unless you think that the tree are really dead, then move all 6 over to the hatcher.

Do you have more eggs to put into the incubator?

I candle from the “top” - fat end up. I can’t see much candling in the middle? I’ll see if I can get pics on the eggs I have in the ‘bator tonight or tomorrow!

I hold the egg fat end up. I shine the candler down into the air cell and it can be seen well. I “traced” the air cell when I set them with a pencil to track their changes. I incubate upright, though I just got an NR 360 and have those eggs on their sides.

Here are a few pics from six shipped assorted breeds set on 3/8:

This one is a “clear” or “yolker” - probably not fertilized or got damaged enough that it never started developing. I’m going to keep it in the bator in the teensyest chance I’m wrong. Doesnt
0010803F-5F45-4503-94FB-A0E767871995.jpeg

So far so good on this one! Has good veins and lots of movement!🤞
E3E52AA7-A9C8-4988-8063-1569775F25A7.jpeg

This one looks dead - no veins, no movement, and a floating blob
A53D32A4-2D1F-41D1-BFDE-D7E29DCFDB57.jpeg

The following are from another batch of assorted breeds of shipped eggs set 3/10:

This is a clear
6C76EBB2-4445-46B8-9FE4-C6C564450553.jpeg

This one has a blood ring so it died early. Will be tossing when it’s daylight.
8EA0E75B-A218-4980-9858-834D7F5E23D2.jpeg

🤞
59ED126D-47EA-469D-B122-738539FB9752.jpeg

Well the new candler is on order.

In the meantime I moved the 6 eggs out and put them in the second incubator. The temp is recovering and the humidity is a little high, but I’ll check shortly that everything has returned to normal.

IN THE MEANTIME, three eggs are now on lockdown. I got them all settled, unplugged the egg turner, removed the cover of the B side and put warm water in that side, and opened the vent. AND, oh my goodness, one of the eggs wiggled!!!!!!!

when can I start peeping at them in the shell?

Well, I invested in a new incubator ...a Nurture Right 360...bought some lavender English Orpington eggs, on eBay, and am now testing the incubator to confirm temp and humidity accuracy (eggs arrive next week.)

I have also put a space heater in the room to keep the temp at 65... the rest of the house is too cold.

Initial result of test: my independent thermometer was .2 degrees warmer, which is not significant. The humidity, shown on the incubator is 4%. The independent hygrometer said 14%.

hmmmm.

Having said THAT, I did not put any water in the cups. So the 4% seems more likely.

Thoughts?
Buy chicks. It sounds like this may not be for you.

Back
Top Bottom