Third attempt at incubating.

This chick is a FIGHTER!! Yay!

Dr. O. Mom put on her surgical mask, sterilized everything in sight, and performed the surgery on both feet. The right was much worse than the left. I smothered both incisions with Neosporin, with pain relief, and made a chick hobble out of a small ponytail elastic and a drinking straw. Seems to be doing the trick. But the poor little munchkin is tuckered out!

Sleeping on his tummy with legs underneath!

:woot

Another success story, thanks to:
T F F @ B Y C

(The fine folks @ BYC)
Nice job!

Hey, do I need to give him/ her any food or water? Or maybe moist cat food ... with a dropper???
Since they just hatched, there is no real hurry for food. It should drink from a small spoon.

Usually they are up and about quickly after stuff like that when just hatched.

I’m so inarticulate.

Honey, my surgical patient, I have in a Brinsea incubator, still. She is tired and still not walking well. Her feet are curled, BUT, they are getting better. At times, they are flat. The two goobers (hatched yesterday) are in the brooder, and the have the usual chick feed, and yes, I’ve dipped their beaks.

There is enough room for me to put a little water and feed for Honey... or .... should I put her in the brooder? I’m afraid the others will peck her.

I’m so inarticulate.

Honey, my surgical patient, I have in a Brinsea incubator, still. She is tired and still not walking well. Her feet are curled, BUT, they are getting better. At times, they are flat. The two goobers (hatched yesterday) are in the brooder, and the have the usual chick feed, and yes, I’ve dipped their beaks.

There is enough room for me to put a little water and feed for Honey... or .... should I put her in the brooder? I’m afraid the others will peck her.
Keep her in the incubator until she is stronger.

Problem is curled feet. Any one know if that is related to B12?

Currently have her in "snow shoes". My chief concern is water and food. Today, she is 24 hours. She is sleeping, and little else... I'm afraid I'm going to lose her. I cut off a cuff of a cashmere sweater, put her in and tried to position her legs and feet correctly.

:confused: Hoping it will help. On a good note, her feet have healed remarkably! Can't tell she had surgery.

Problem is curled feet. Any one know if that is related to B12?

Currently have her in "snow shoes". My chief concern is water and food. Today, she is 24 hours. She is sleeping, and little else... I'm afraid I'm going to lose her. I cut off a cuff of a cashmere sweater, put her in and tried to position her legs and feet correctly.

:confused: Hoping it will help. On a good note, her feet have healed remarkably! Can't tell she had surgery.
It is usually related to hatching stress.

Back
Top Bottom