Third opossum this week!

BarnyardChaos

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Richmond, MO
Dang, how many more??? I knew something was up, yet again, when I went out to lock up and several hens were restlessly pacing outside the pop-door. Odd how those critters just freeze and stare at your flashlight, and won't move from wherever they think they're hiding. Made a good target and clean dispatch. They haven't been bothering the chickens that I know of ... yet. There was one yesterday, again when I was locking up. And another several days ago, yes, again when I was locking up. All three, plus another a few months ago, have met their maker. Thankfully I haven't lost any birds, just a few eggs I think. Run just isn't secure enough; I've got work to do.

Yikes! They've been inside your coop?
Yes. One, at least - the one I found a few months ago. He had an injured foot (old injury) and didn't get around well, but was inside the coop at roosting time. Everyone was in an uproar or panicked inside and out. I used a long stick and was able to get him out the pop-door, where my husband was waiting with the .410 shotgun. One rooster that night (Roofuss) had some minor injuries, but was quite proud of himself. He lost a bunch of feathers on the floor of the coop, but he survived.

I hope that was the last one tonight, but I'm not holding my breath. Shotgun remains loaded.

Back
Top Bottom