This can mean anything good.. 😬

I would give pain medication closely monitor those feet. If they start to look worse I would think about culling. Losing toes or whole feet to frostbite would be awful and there’s no way to keep him pain free if that happens.

I would give pain medication closely monitor those feet. If they start to look worse I would think about culling. Losing toes or whole feet to frostbite would be awful and there’s no way to keep him pain free if that happens.
Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking.

Swelling and blisters are common with frostbite. It may be a week or more until you can tell what tissue (if any) is dying and going to fall off. A lot of chickens lose toes to frostbite and recover just fine. It's a little sad of course, and painful for the bird, but I would never cull a bird over a few toes, and I'd like to think the birds would choose a longer life over not having to suffer the pain of frostbite for a couple months. Losing a foot is more dire, but there are plenty people who have gotten their chickens through it.

Here is a great article that has general frostbite info at the top and then a well documented progression of a case of severe frostbite:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...to-know-about-injury-care-and-recovery.78168/

Unfortunately all I can offer is experience, not how to fix it. I have yet to have birds with that type of damage successfully heal enough that they aren't needed to be put down
I want to clarify too, that this type of damage tends to lead to more than just losing a few toes. I have birds lose a toe or two every year with no biggie. But when the foot freezes solid and gets blistered, I have yet to have any that don't lose the lower leg

Update pics.
P_20230203_154132.jpg
P_20230203_154312.jpg

Back
Top Bottom