This duck refuses to lay eggs!

Yep. They are primarily indoor ducks because of predators and my dad's unhealthy habit of noisy yardwork with backfiring gas powered tools. She has a little hidey hole nesting box in their enclosure, and I can easily cover it better.
Make sure they have enough water to dip their entire head in it. They will not be happy about their routine being upset. Keep an eye on the drake, he may be causing stress (1 to 1 ratio is not idea). If she does not lay in the week then something is wrong and she may just be infertile or a trio of girlfriends added to the mix.

I don't know what to say but I'll be sure to let @Miss Lydia know tomorrow!

They are beautiful ducks for sure. Have you thought about bringing her to a vet? Maybe an x-ray would show something? Also, it doesn't sound like she's in distress at all so perhaps she's go a reproductive issue and just isn't going to lay. Have you tried giving her a dose of calcium gluconate?

I don't know what to say but I'll be sure to let @Miss Lydia know tomorrow!

They are beautiful ducks for sure. Have you thought about bringing her to a vet? Maybe an x-ray would show something? Also, it doesn't sound like she's in distress at all so perhaps she's go a reproductive issue and just isn't going to lay. Have you tried giving her a dose of calcium gluconate?
I've thought about taking her to a vet, but I hate to do so unless she seems like she's in distress. I thought about the calcium gluconate, but she isn't acting egg-bound at all. You and Miss Lydia have been with me since the beginning! Lol! I haven't been online much since Covid became a thing.

Make sure they have enough water to dip their entire head in it. They will not be happy about their routine being upset. Keep an eye on the drake, he may be causing stress (1 to 1 ratio is not idea). If she does not lay in the week then something is wrong and she may just be infertile or a trio of girlfriends added to the mix.
They're Australian Spotteds, so thankfully he's not an overly aggressive mater. I am fostering a wood duck we found totally abandoned (I keep her in a separate enclosure, separate everything) and he either wants to run her off or turn her into his second wife, but she's only about 10 weeks old and is not interested. I've tried separating Hemmie and the drake to see if she would enjoy some alone time, but she freaks out. They are each other's emotional support animal, I guess.

They're Australian Spotteds, so thankfully he's not an overly aggressive mater. I am fostering a wood duck we found totally abandoned (I keep her in a separate enclosure, separate everything) and he either wants to run her off or turn her into his second wife, but she's only about 10 weeks old and is not interested. I've tried separating Hemmie and the drake to see if she would enjoy some alone time, but she freaks out. They are each other's emotional support animal, I guess.
Yeah separating is not an option, this would cause stress on her and him. Just keep them up 4 days or a week, no egg then she is infertile and she can live a long happy life but if you want eggs you will need to add some girlfriends.

Yeah separating is not an option, this would cause stress on her and him. Just keep them up 4 days or a week, no egg then she is infertile and she can live a long happy life but if you want eggs you will need to add some girlfriends.
I'm okay without eggs, as long as they're happy, healthy duckies! I just want to be sure she isn't trying to be the first duck to give live birth 🤣. I mainly just want to be sure she doesn't have any health issues. I got them primarily as pets, and they're my snuggly little cuties, so I'm not counting on them to produce eggs. 😊

Attachments

• 20200610_163505.jpg
    20200610_163505.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200614_160647.jpg
    20200614_160647.jpg
    624.2 KB · Views: 4
I've thought about taking her to a vet, but I hate to do so unless she seems like she's in distress. I thought about the calcium gluconate, but she isn't acting egg-bound at all. You and Miss Lydia have been with me since the beginning! Lol! I haven't been online much since Covid became a thing.
I've hardly been on at all this summer too. I've got so many projects going that I've been outside so much of the time. With fall and winter on the way I will be on the computer much more. I forget where you are in AL but I think I remember you are not that far from me. Hasn't the weather been great! Last year we nearly roasted with 100° temps until mid-October! I'm always glad to help and glad you tagged me as I do get the tags.

You know, I've got one little 3 yr old girl named Spot who's my only penciled runner. I don't think she's laid an egg for a very very long time. It's hard to know for sure but I really don't think she has and yet she's fine and running around like the rest of them (I've got 19 now). Maybe, like with people, sometimes they just aren't fertile? I don't see why that couldn't be a possibility.

I've got a chocolate runner that gives me maybe 20-50 eggs a year. Eh- She's cute, she's sweet, she's a pet. I'm not concerned.
Perhaps her molt came during prime egg laying time and now the days are turning shorter - maybe in the Spring she'll surprise you.

I've hardly been on at all this summer too. I've got so many projects going that I've been outside so much of the time. With fall and winter on the way I will be on the computer much more. I forget where you are in AL but I think I remember you are not that far from me. Hasn't the weather been great! Last year we nearly roasted with 100° temps until mid-October! I'm always glad to help and glad you tagged me as I do get the tags.

You know, I've got one little 3 yr old girl named Spot who's my only penciled runner. I don't think she's laid an egg for a very very long time. It's hard to know for sure but I really don't think she has and yet she's fine and running around like the rest of them (I've got 19 now). Maybe, like with people, sometimes they just aren't fertile? I don't see why that couldn't be a possibility.

I am loving the cooler weather already! I remember wearing shorts and flip flops in October last year. 😥 She may just have decided that first egg was enough of a pain, and no more. 😂 It's also been so hot and sooooo humid up until recently, I don't blame her.

I've got a chocolate runner that gives me maybe 20-50 eggs a year. Eh- She's cute, she's sweet, she's a pet. I'm not concerned.
Perhaps her molt came during prime egg laying time and now the days are turning shorter - maybe in the Spring she'll surprise you.
I think she might. Her molt came right at the very beginning of summer, and she wouldn't let little man mate with her for weeks. Her first and only egg so far was last December. Maybe she's a Christmas egg laying duck? 😅

Back
Top Bottom