This EE has me stumped...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by momofthree, Aug 26, 2010.

1. momofthree

momofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    I have been wobbling back and forth on this chicken being a boy or a girl for a month now...some days i am definitely sure it's a pullet and some days i am thinking he is a Roo.

I am seriously wanting her to be a girl, cuz i will have too many roo's if she is a boy.

She is almost 18 weeks and has always had more of a curled tail feathers, even when very young....and up until now her pea comb has very small and light, just like my other EE pullets.

Here s/he is, with another EE behind her of the same age, are those saddle feathers i see coming in? or not?
    [​IMG]

Here s/he is standing to the left of my known EE roo, for comb comparison
    [​IMG]

here is a pic trying show her hackle feathers and another view of the comb, again with my known EE roo to her left:

[​IMG]

I have lots of EE's and this is the only one that has me stumped...i have not heard a crow or had an egg yet [​IMG] i only have one PR that is laying right now, she is 24 weeks.

2. DomesticGoddess

DomesticGoddess Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    I have 3 EE's that are about the same age, no eggs yet either! But by just looking at her, i think it's a pullet. I don't see saddle feathers, but that's just my personal oppinion! and I've heard the most EE's lay later then most, maybe around 9 months or so. Good luck!!!

3. frizzlefritz

frizzlefritz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    Aldergrove
    Im guessing that it is a roo, I hope not but I think it might be [​IMG] pretty bird though [​IMG]

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    It looks pretty roo-ish to me. It's quite possible he's a late-bloomer. Very pretty birds.

5. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I can see why you are stumped. My Ameraucana are some that I don't try to sex until they are well developed.

I'll hope you have a girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by