This gentleman is hanging out with my free range ladies, should I have a problem with this?

I remember reading that there are some diseases and parasites that are very common in pheasants that can afflict chickens. He does look lonely though....

Depending upon your climate, if you have a certain variety of cockroach in the woods/woodpiles, then the pheasant eats the cockroach, gets the parasite and can pass it to chickens who have eaten a cockroach that has eaten the pheasant droppings. (If memory serves).

That being said, if you have a regular worming program, it should be less of a concern.

whoops, I see this is the pheasant thread....sorry--thought you were referring to chickens. ;o0

Last edited:
Wow, you are lucky!

He is very beautiful. There are some diseases that can spread.......but in reality any free ranging birds can get diseases form almost anything, such as wild songbird droppings. If you take good care of your chickens and de worm them, de parasite them, etc, then the risk of any problem is very small.

I remember reading that there are some diseases and parasites that are very common in pheasants that can afflict chickens. He does look lonely though....

Depending upon your climate, if you have a certain variety of cockroach in the woods/woodpiles, then the pheasant eats the cockroach, gets the parasite and can pass it to chickens who have eaten a cockroach that has eaten the pheasant droppings. (If memory serves).

That being said, if you have a regular worming program, it should be less of a concern.

whoops, I see this is the pheasant thread....sorry--thought you were referring to chickens. ;o0
Just the opposite.Chickens carry parasites and disease that they can handle,but pheasants can not handle.
In N.H.,Tony.

We release Ringneck Pheasants yearly and always have a few "homebodies" for the first year our chickens get pretty used to a few always returning to eat the chicken feed. But my Rooster is pretty protective of his ladies so no foul play going around with a pheasant and hen LOL!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom