This gentleman is hanging out with my free range ladies, should I have a problem with this?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by rsallison, May 25, 2012.

1. rsallison

rsallison In the Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    [​IMG]

2. I remember reading that there are some diseases and parasites that are very common in pheasants that can afflict chickens. He does look lonely though....

Depending upon your climate, if you have a certain variety of cockroach in the woods/woodpiles, then the pheasant eats the cockroach, gets the parasite and can pass it to chickens who have eaten a cockroach that has eaten the pheasant droppings. (If memory serves).

That being said, if you have a regular worming program, it should be less of a concern.

whoops, I see this is the pheasant thread....sorry--thought you were referring to chickens. ;o0

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Crowing

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Wow, you are lucky!

He is very beautiful. There are some diseases that can spread.......but in reality any free ranging birds can get diseases form almost anything, such as wild songbird droppings. If you take good care of your chickens and de worm them, de parasite them, etc, then the risk of any problem is very small.

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Just the opposite.Chickens carry parasites and disease that they can handle,but pheasants can not handle.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. The new chicken

The new chicken Hatching

May 23, 2012
    what type of bird is that?
    looks good

6. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Songster

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    He's a beautiful male Ringneck pheasant.

7. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Songster

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    We release Ringneck Pheasants yearly and always have a few "homebodies" for the first year our chickens get pretty used to a few always returning to eat the chicken feed. But my Rooster is pretty protective of his ladies so no foul play going around with a pheasant and hen LOL!!!! [​IMG]

8. fowlplay1950

fowlplay1950 In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2012
    You will get a new blood line if you have ring-necked females.

Dennis

9. fowlplay1950

fowlplay1950 In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2012
    You will get a new blood line if you have ring-necked females.

Dennis

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: