This has to be a rooster, right?

TheSitcomGirls

Songster
9 Years
Nov 17, 2010
Hello! It seems like every year I have a chick that develops a comb first but then eventually everybody else catches up. So far in four years of getting chicks from Meyer they have all been the pullets I ordered. This year I ordered two Golden Campine pullets. Here are pictures of the two of them at three weeks old today. I think I need to rename #1 from "Ellie May" to "Spock". That one has to be a rooster, doesn't it?

Together

not necaserily.... both hens and roosters have combs and this one is probably just developing quicker...plus you should be able to see a start of a wattle if it was a little boy but im not 100 percent sure ive only raised red sex links... i really want to expand out to other breeds.

No waddles yet. And it seemed like the comb just popped out overnight! Hard to tell from the pix but Ellie Mae/ Spock is almost twice as big!

I would be very surprised if that turned out to be a pullet. I always have a few hens who develop faster too but pretty much the only time I see that big a comb and that much pink at that age...is when it's a roo.

Oh no! I wonder if he will be OK living with 26 hens!
LOL! He will probably be thrilled
wink.png

Oh bummer...checked for wattles this evening. Is that what this red area under the side of his (or her still hoping..) beak is? There is one on the other side as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom