This housewife needs confidence & expert advice**Pics**

Knock Kneed Hen

California Dream'in Chickens
9 Years
Feb 15, 2010
So. Cal.
I'm building this run and I couldn't do it without your help!!

This is facing the wind, which blows 25-30 mph, with gusts of 55+ on a reg. basis. It's been clocked doing much more,
but that's not the norm. It's the reason I put the wind block on the bottom and I'll also build a solid door so that the
chickens will have somewhere to go during the windy season (Oct-May).

I plan on putting 2 x 6 roof joists at 24 ins. apart and putting corrugated roofing over half the run. I also plan on making
a solid back wall half way down so that they are protected when it rains and snows.

My big question now is, should I have put something other than a 2 x 6 at the top? It's not too late to change it at at
this point. I was thinking on the end that will just have wire on it that it's fine, but now I'm wondering if the section that
you see here with the 2 x 6 across it (it's 8 1/2 ft) is going to be strong enough?
Everything is held together by Simpson
strong ties.
49067_img_4951.jpg
49067_img_4950.jpg

I am a big fan of "Over-Built". It looks as if it will withstand whatever you/nature can throw at it.

Very nice.

Where do you live that you get that kind of wind? There are only a couple of places in SoCal that I can think of that get that kind of wind on a regular basis.
None of which match your scenery.

Quote:
It's crazy because when the wind is roaring at my place, just around the corner in town the leaves on the trees aren't even moving. We have no protection from the wind.
hmm.png

Looks good. In my tractor I use plexiglass on the bottom as a windbreak so they can still see out. They are SO curious.

The best option, with the wind you have, is to over-build. Plan on building a structure that could withstand a hurricane and you will be fine. 2x6s are a good choice in this application. For the roof, make sure to build it so that the wind can't get under the edge, though. Once strong wind gets in, it can do a lot of damage. I grew up in Louisiana and lived through several hurricanes, Katrina and Rita being the most recent. Wind can be very destructive. So, if you get 50 mph wind, build expecting 100 mph.

Back
Top Bottom