This is frustrating... Need some help.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank You!!!!!!
bow.gif

Thats exactlly what I needed to know. So white tips are hens, black tips are toms. I'm sure all the Bronze were hens but I will check again Monday. I may end up with a Bourbon Red tom and try and snag a couple more hens. :) They are all $15 ea and they still had quite a few Bronze hens.

Hen?
That is a super cheap price, so if you do deside to crossbreeed, just sell them as crosses for a little less or for meat. At that price I don't see how you can go wrong! What you can't sell, you can eat
droolin.gif
! even cross turkeys are delicious!!! Why are they selling them so cheap @$15.?
x3
Thank you I will do that if need be. With what Lagerdogger first posted I think I can pick out the correct bird(s) The feather tip color *should* be easy to point out as all the birds seem to have adult feathers. I wish I could have found that info before I went out there the first time but at least now I know if they for sure do not have any Bronze toms I feel better about getting a Bourbon Red and poss. producing Red Bronzes. Maybe I can snag a couple more hens from them at a steal of a deal... they want to get rid of them ASAP.

To think this turkey thing all started with a free stray hen. Forget chicken math I am coming down with a bad case of poultry math...
hide.gif
I'm so thankful for a tolerent husband! I keep telling him if this turkey thing doesn't work out we can always have a turkey dinner!
hehehe--- turkey dinner sounds like a win win situration
lau.gif

I dont know much about turkeys but I have no clue what to do!
I have been looking for an adult standard Bronze tom for my hen. Very hard to find! I found some on craigslist and they were super close to me so I went to pick one up. I get there and feel like an idiot... All the Bronze "toms" look like hens! They had some Burbon Reds and there were obviously 4 toms and some hens.

Should I just go back and get a BR and cross it with my SB?
I was planning on selling hatching eggs and/or started poults but would there be a market for crosses?
barnie.gif
he.gif

Also, compared to my hen of unknown age these turkeys looked really short. These turkeys were 8months old. Do Bronze turkeys take longer to mature? I saw some with slightly bigger waddles (?) but the same size as the rest and they sounded like hens. The BR were gobbling... What am I looking for???
th.gif
Older turkeys have larger waddles than younger ones and younger turkeys are usually shorter than older turkrys of the same breed. Hens are shorter than toms.

So...
I met back up with the lady armed with my new knowledge about hens/toms and she only had bronze hens. She gave me 2 for $15! The reason they are so cheap is because they were supposed to sell for thanksgiving and they had 15+ leftover and the dogs keep getting out and killing them. A waste of a life.
I was so excited too because she runs a nubin goat milking operation and I got a free sample of raw goats milk. YUMMY!!!

I ended up with a BR Tom and a bronze hen. I am going to post a pic later of the trio, I have to get it off my phone first. They are hatchery quality birds from the look of it.

Dang some people have all the Luck
clap.gif

At that Price like Celie Said I would have bought a good amount no matter the Sex or Breed that's less than1/3 the price I have been selling my turkeys for.

Great Find and Good luck with your new turkeys.

Last edited:
This is the best pic I could get of them together. Poor Tommy Boy has a few ruffled feathers, he put up quite a fight! My original hen is the one in the back. I noticed that the new little lady doesn't have clear stripes on her wings and they look more liked they were splattered with paint. Is this just from being poorer hatchery quality?

They all seem to be settling in fine and although they were not in the least bit socialized they now come running with the rest of the gang when they see I have the goodie bag. :love

I heard Tommy gobble for the first time this morning and the look on the chickens faces was priceless! They looked like :eek: what was that!!! :gig

This is the best pic I could get of them together. Poor Tommy Boy has a few ruffled feathers, he put up quite a fight! My original hen is the one in the back. I noticed that the new little lady doesn't have clear stripes on her wings and they look more liked they were splattered with paint. Is this just from being poorer hatchery quality?

They all seem to be settling in fine and although they were not in the least bit socialized they now come running with the rest of the gang when they see I have the goodie bag. :love

I heard Tommy gobble for the first time this morning and the look on the chickens faces was priceless! They looked like :eek: what was that!!! :gig

Nice!

Back
Top Bottom