This is how I cured Lash in my hen

Sanchez

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2016
so I found out my girl JoJo had Lash! Was very fearful of the out come, they say 2% chance of curing it! When I found out the first thing I did was get her on antibiotics (enrofloxacin) 10 days, noticed she wasn’t drinking water so I made her drink many times a day out of a sryringe (vitamin and electrolytes) also she had watermelon daily, iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, anything that had lots of water base, before she wouldn’t free range or eat anything, but cucumbers, after 48hrs she started eating bugs and worms, with her veggies, know she’s eating more of her feed and mealworms and her vent is no longer red, her fecial matter is getting more formed, she lost a lot of weight, haven’t seen any pus eggs in 3 days and she’s getting more energy. She is a laid back chicken, easy personality. Be diligent, notice signs early, wrinkles in there eggs, miss shaped eggs, laying less and less, most of all, KEEP THERE LAYING NEST CLEAN, I’ve always keeped a clean run and nest but sometimes I have notice Fecial matter after egg laying. The fecial matter can go up through the vent and in there Oviduct which from my understanding that’s how they get Lash, at least that’s one way! So... antibiotics, plenty of water, veggies, also I mixed corn and yogurt together and sometimes did the same with the lettuce, and keep there vent clean. My girls are pets and part of the family, so there was no question on saving her! But if she does start laying, no eating these eggs for 8 weeks, me may be 4-5 months, lol. I hope this thread helps someone else, just know if your willing to put in the work, you can save your hen from this horrible disease .

so I found out my girl JoJo had Lash! Was very fearful of the out come, they say 2% chance of curing it! When I found out the first thing I did was get her on antibiotics (enrofloxacin) 10 days, noticed she wasn’t drinking water so I made her drink many times a day out of a sryringe (vitamin and electrolytes) also she had watermelon daily, iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, anything that had lots of water base, before she wouldn’t free range or eat anything, but cucumbers, after 48hrs she started eating bugs and worms, with her veggies, know she’s eating more of her feed and mealworms and her vent is no longer red, her fecial matter is getting more formed, she lost a lot of weight, haven’t seen any pus eggs in 3 days and she’s getting more energy. She is a laid back chicken, easy personality. Be diligent, notice signs early, wrinkles in there eggs, miss shaped eggs, laying less and less, most of all, KEEP THERE LAYING NEST CLEAN, I’ve always keeped a clean run and nest but sometimes I have notice Fecial matter after egg laying. The fecial matter can go up through the vent and in there Oviduct which from my understanding that’s how they get Lash, at least that’s one way! So... antibiotics, plenty of water, veggies, also I mixed corn and yogurt together and sometimes did the same with the lettuce, and keep there vent clean. My girls are pets and part of the family, so there was no question on saving her! But if she does start laying, no eating these eggs for 8 weeks, me may be 4-5 months, lol. I hope this thread helps someone else, just know if your willing to put in the work, you can save your hen from this horrible disease .
Can you clarify - you treated her with antibiotics for 10 days, but it's been 3 days since you last saw lash material correct?
Do you have photos of the lash material that she expelled?

Glad to hear she is doing better and is getting more energy. It would be appreciated if you keep your thread up to date so others can track her progress.
Hopefully the antibiotics helped with whatever caused the infection and they will extend her life for a period of time.

Last edited:
Can you clarify - you treated her with antibiotics for 10 days, but it's been 3 days since you last saw lash material correct?
Do you have photos of the lash material that she expelled?

Glad to hear she is doing better and is getting more energy. It would be appreciated if you keep your thread up to date so others can track her progress.
Hopefully the antibiotics helped with whatever caused the infection and they will extend her life for a period of time.

Attachments

• 6B749913-D30A-409C-8158-7AFD3EE58D62.jpeg
    6B749913-D30A-409C-8158-7AFD3EE58D62.jpeg
    567.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 0DFE4F49-76A1-48CA-A480-9697A2BB6025.jpeg
    0DFE4F49-76A1-48CA-A480-9697A2BB6025.jpeg
    562.1 KB · Views: 13
Yes, she was laying these pus eggs all day, after day 5 on the antibiotics it was only morning in her nest. So far none has been seen in nest, and through out day! I’m keeping my fingers crossed that she keeps excelling and keeps eating well. It was a lot of work, took a lot of extra time, but she was worth it, she’s a remarkable chicken.

Attachments

• AFF92AFA-B9FE-4B76-B8AA-773582EF65AA.jpeg
    AFF92AFA-B9FE-4B76-B8AA-773582EF65AA.jpeg
    880.8 KB · Views: 16
I'm very glad your hen is feeling better and hope she continues to. I went back to your original post to review: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hens-been-sick-for-weeks.1277262/
While I sincerely hope she no longer has any infection, I do think that it will be some more time passing before you can be sure. Antibiotics will sometimes knock it back and give them some time, but it's hard to know for sure. If she lays an egg again, that would be a very good sign that she's actually recovered. Best of luck with her. It would be helpful if you posted updates in the same thread started, so others can follow and see all information when they are searching.

Yeah I’m hoping so also, right know she seems back to normal, and is interested in nesting, but not like she use to be yet! I’m watching her like a hawk and making sure she gets everything she needs. If she lays that would be wonderful for her, me I’m okay if she doesn’t, I know the people I’ve talked to say there surprised that she’s doing this well, but she is fighting to live and I’m fighting to help her! Yes I’ll keep posting on updates, I have notice her vent is no longer red on the inside and no more icky poop today, so fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom