This is how it starts...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Rapptors, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Rapptors

Rapptors Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    This is how it starts, isn't it? We did a couple of batches of cornish x. Right now the oldest is a little over due, we have one roo that is 10.5 lbs!!! We've been butchering a couple here and there but the big processing will be Wednesday. Checking into licensing here... 6 separate licenses/plans to be filed with 5 separate agencies from the state to the county to the conservation district (that one is a gargantuan mini EIS) to the city if we want to sell any. Huh.. could get into a political rant here but I'll leave that.

I am going to really miss these chickens. We have 2.7 acres and these guys roam. They like to go from the upper yard down to the pond by the house for a sip. They hang out in the bushes. They're starting to cluck. We got one brown pullet w/ a batch from the hatchery, it really seems like a banty, but compared to CX I would imagine EVERYTHING seems like a banty. That one got named Keeper, for obvious reasons.

We also have Goldy, one of the pullets has a faint buff coloring. When my eldest came to help with butchering a few for the 4th that was the first one she grabbed... You should have heard her little brother and sister YELL! The kids have helped with processing and have no gumptions about eating their quasi-pets but Goldy is a special case.

So we're definitely keeping Keeper and Goldy might stay... considering some turkeys so we can have some great organic turkey for Thanksgiving.... and we do have these tractors we went to all the expense of building.... And now we know what we're doing a little better....

And so it starts, huh?

Ali & the Rapptors

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    lol, you got it ali, that's exactly how it starts! welcome to our world, we look forward to getting to know you [​IMG]

3. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    You are very lucky to have so much land for your meaties to roam! I am jealous - I am looking around wondering how we will move the 5 x 10 ft tractor enough times to give them a grassy area. I am only one week into my first batch of Cornish X so I can imagine with them roaming around and maybe ?? a little less "work" that way I would miss them as well. Do you have a flock of keepers that will lay eggs for you?

4. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    Oh yes, exactly. We're just finishing up our first batch of CX- been butchering a few here and there and DH and I are already discussing when we can do it again and how turkeys would make wonderful Christmas gifts! [​IMG] I am definitely glad we have laying hens to keep around for "pets".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by