This is not going according to plan!

Sep 18, 2017
First time poster long time follower, 24 eggs in the incubator. Filming a segment for the producer of Better Homes and Gardens, a popular Aussie T.V. show, who are coming to visit my boss in two weeks. "Show the producer your eggs, " I said to my three year old nephew holding up my Iphone. He put his hand up to my Brinsea Octagon twenty, grabbed the handle and rolled it over smashing several eggs. Of 24 eggs, the one I hatched ended up with a clubbed foot. 10 out of twenty were infertile after candelling. I asked myself, was one of them truly a breeder or supplying me with supermarket eggs? I took the lone survivor to the vet and she is now in a pair of skis to help correct her splayed legs. I've called her Zali Stegall after one of Australia's few Winter Olympian medalists. Stegall's is also an iconic chicken farmer in Oz so the name seemed appropriate because she is a little chicken with a champion attitude. I've been up every night drip feeding her water and food.

To make matters worse I got a delivery from City.... One chick, who was supposed to be a pullet but looked sick and only 2 days old, died the first night under a Brinsea eco 50 Heat pad. The 3 Australorp and three Isa brows were getting along famously until the Australorp tried to hen peck the smallest Isa Brown to death. "Snitzel" has been relocated to a loving home after he almost killed one of the remaining birds. The other Australorp I introduced to my bantam cage today, Kim Jung Un, tried to assassinate my little ones. She's going to be rehomed with the same mate of mine who is an animal whisperer and reports Snitzel is doing well free ranging. The Isa Browns are doing well with the remaining chicks, 6 cochin bantams, 2 buff orpingtons and 2 belgian d'uccles, who are no longer huddling in the corner of the large box to avoid imminent death. Two of the three Australorps, supposedly calm birds, are already gone after two days.

Just wanted to let people know, as much as I am loving being a chicken pappa, sometimes things aren't all they are cracked up to be dexpire your best intentions. Hope things get better soon. I love my little remaining chicks and will do everything in my power to make sure they lead happy lives. For your information, they did not like bluberries, yogurt, raisins, nasturtians so much or stale bread as treats. But they do go crazy for fresh rocket and salad leaves from the garden served chilled after a night the fridge. Just my humble observations so far.

Good luck fellow chicken enthusiasts!

Back
Top Bottom