This is not going very well...any ideas? UPDATE!!

Yardbirds286

Songster
11 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Western Mass
Well I have two new 5 week old Barred Rock pullets!! They are the sweetest girls! The two that I had that were picking on my BO's are now split up. The smaller one is with the BO's and getting along very well with them. The big girl is in with the new gals and has not picked at them once. All is peaceful! Now I just have to combine the groups. They are in separate brooders right now so everyone has enough space. Three BR's in one and one BR and three BO's in the other. They can hear each other but they cannot see each other. When would be a good time to do this? Sooner the better, or wait until the new girls get settled a bit? Should I let them get to know each other outside where they have a large yard? I want to do it before they are all in the coop together for the first time. Yes I'm new at this can you tell? Thanks for putting up with my inexperience.
smile.png

Last edited:
How old are the BO's? Maybe they are just establashing a pecking order....if more room is given to them they will learn to get along better..so yes the yard is a good idea.

When I integrated my younger chicks, I put them where they could see each other for a while first before I let them integrate. All I am seeing now (at 9-12 weeks) is pecking order stuff.

I use to let them outside together about once a day. As soon as I put them outside for good they got along but of course they stuck with the ones they were in the brooder with.

I will let them all out in the yard, supervised, as soon as the weather permits. Lot's of rain here in Mass. I think that will be a good way to start getting them all together. They are only two weeks apart so I am hoping for smooth sailing.

Good Luck it shouldn't be that bad. Hopefully. I know I prefer to introduce as chicks then as older chickens. I do not like watching the ruff pecking order.

I tried intros as 2 and 4 week olds and the BR just ate up my BO who are younger. So...I waited and tried again same thing. They are getting on very well with my new BR's who my son named Pepper, and Cinnamon. The BO are getting bigger fast so I hope that will help.

Quote:
Oh I totally agree...I always want to go in and just yell STOP, I am the leader here and I want you kids to get along.

I have 3 buffs(crossed with RIR & BR I believe) that are also 2 weeks older than my others (BR, RIR,NR) and I have been lucky they have gotten along good. The bigger ones do a little bit of pushing, but not much. I think my buffs are going to be bigger in the long run regardless of age. I think my luck may have partly been do to the fact that the buffs even though they are older joined the brooder after, so they felt out of place for a bit. Now that they are out in the big coop, and go out during the day I have noticed that one of my buffs my very well be a roo, as he is bigger and showing them all who is boss. This is our first year also with chickens. It has been enjoyable to watch the process of them growing up. Good luck! I also live in Western MA and this crappy weather has slowed the introduction to the outside. Hopefully it will feel like Summer soon!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom