This is NOT how I wanted to wake up

Ascholten

Free Ranging
Dec 12, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
I walked out to the coop this morning to feed the girls. THIS is what I was greeted with.
momo.jpg

My stomach sank, I felt sick, I stood there silently asking why now?

I opened the coop up, expecting the worst. Black feathers everywhere in the coop too.

Then she plopped down off her perch to say good morning !!
She's molting.
Holy crap, ALL THIS, OVERNIGHT!!!

She has been a bit moody last few days, and her eating was a bit off. Now I know why. But she had a mini molt? I guess you could call it earlier? and still the same ? why NOW, it's friggin December!! isn't it a bit late to be changing clothing now little girl?

Aaron

Edit: I have a possum issue going on now too, KNOWING that and seeing this, it just made me think the worst. THankfully it wasn't

I have so been there. I have coons, and feathers everywhere is NOT a good sign.

Once I had a leghorn molt over night, nearly naked. It looked like snow on the bedding that next morning. She grew back fast, was beautiful in her new feathers.

I do not question high order of things, but sometimes I wonder if molting in December was a great call? Asking for a friend.

Seriously does not seem to phase the chickens, even it if is really cold out.

Mrs K

They do keep your heart pumping, don’t they?

I just came in from checking the yard because all I could see were what looked like wind-ruffled feathers. I expected to see someone dead or injured and unable to get back to the coop.

It was my biggest cockerel and his favorite pullet “dust” bathing where snow had melted and left a patch of damp earth. Weird birds.

I have so been there. I have coons, and feathers everywhere is NOT a good sign.

Once I had a leghorn molt over night, nearly naked. It looked like snow on the bedding that next morning. She grew back fast, was beautiful in her new feathers.

I do not question high order of things, but sometimes I wonder if molting in December was a great call? Asking for a friend.

Seriously does not seem to phase the chickens, even it if is really cold out.

Mrs K
In my experience chickens that molt in colder months do it much faster: From almost naked to back in short new feathers within 5 days.

I do hope they come back fast. In this adverse weather, granted it IS Florida and we ARE having a warm spell but still, I don't like them not eating like little piggies every day. If they are not trying to knock me over to eat, I start thinking something is wrong.

Aaron
Provide proper animal protein for quick feather build up.

And wind protection.

In my experience chickens that molt in colder months do it much faster: From almost naked to back in short new feathers within 5 days.
And I really rather like a fast molt. I have one now, that is just dragging on, here a few, there a few feathers, no bald spots, just a little ragged.

reminds me of one of the times that happened to me.

one day i woke up and i saw white feathers, and a cracked egg. i immediately thought the worst. i opened the coop expecting to see a very frightened flock, or no flock at all. i was surprised to see sprinkles (who was my only white one btw) and everyone sitting there expecting me to have breakfast! sprinkles's nest had blown over in the wind, and all her feathers came spilling out, and one of her eggs had cracked on the way down.

Back
Top Bottom