This is NOT how I wanted to wake up

I have a Cochin who molts 2x a year. She's a bit off in other ways, too. But my coop, run, and pasture are perpetually covered with white feathers.

Here's a pic of my Welsummer with a white Cochin feather stuck to her tail. That feather "chased" her and sent her into a panic whenever she saw it.

20190714_194217.jpg

And wind protection.

And I really rather like a fast molt. I have one now, that is just dragging on, here a few, there a few feathers, no bald spots, just a little ragged.
Not to mention, the sooner they get it over, the sooner they get back to laying eggs! Don't like them taking a month or so off when they can be done with it in a week or so..

Aaron

a white Cochin feather stuck to her tail. That feather "chased" her and sent her into a panic whenever she saw it.
That's funny, it reminds me of my Cockatoo. I can shine a laser pointer on the ground and he'll go after it, it's fun, it's entertaining, but the moment I bring it up onto the wall, even though he SEES it move, the moment it's on the wall, he freaks out and takes off. Bird you are an idiot.. you take after your owner :p

Aaron

I walked out to the coop this morning to feed the girls. THIS is what I was greeted with.
View attachment 2922380

My stomach sank, I felt sick, I stood there silently asking why now?

I opened the coop up, expecting the worst. Black feathers everywhere in the coop too.

Then she plopped down off her perch to say good morning !!
She's molting.
Holy crap, ALL THIS, OVERNIGHT!!!

She has been a bit moody last few days, and her eating was a bit off. Now I know why. But she had a mini molt? I guess you could call it earlier? and still the same ? why NOW, it's friggin December!! isn't it a bit late to be changing clothing now little girl?

Aaron

Edit: I have a possum issue going on now too, KNOWING that and seeing this, it just made me think the worst. THankfully it wasn't
Mine just got done molting and are now finally starting to look a bit more normal. :)

We just had a rainstorm pass thru, they decided to stand out in it, all are soaking wet, little miss molty looks HORRIBLE, like someone tried to drown her. Then on top of that, soaking wet, two of them decide to go under the boat and take a dust bath. Go AWAY, go IN, do NOT touch me you muddy little beast you! Why? Bet that mud hardens and they look like hardend muddy poop for the next week.

Aaron

What does determine when they start laying again? Just when they are darned good and ready to or what? I know molt will shut it down because the energy is going into new feathers, and shorter days will doo for light reasons, but I wonder what else would make them say nope, im taking a vay-cay, get back in touch with me about march :)

Aaron

We just had a rainstorm pass thru, they decided to stand out in it, all are soaking wet, little miss molty looks HORRIBLE, like someone tried to drown her. Then on top of that, soaking wet, two of them decide to go under the boat and take a dust bath. Go AWAY, go IN, do NOT touch me you muddy little beast you! Why? Bet that mud hardens and they look like hardend muddy poop for the next week.

Aaron
Haha, clever birds! It is their protective armour! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom