This is probably a dumb question.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SimpleHomeLoving, May 16, 2011.

1. SimpleHomeLoving

SimpleHomeLoving New Egg

May 16, 2011
    I just got chicks about three weeks ago, they are in their coop safe and sound, but when they get bigger and are roaming my back yard- how do I know they won't fly away??? Are they territorial? Have you ever had a chicken fly away? Do I need to clip their wings or something?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. easyjet23

easyjet23 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Nowata, OK
    It all depends on the breed of chicken. Most can't fly but a few feet, but some like Black Sumatra and American Game, can fly several hundred yards or farther. Chickens will usually stay close to their "home" so they can roost in the same safe location. The coop they are in now is their familiar place and should stay close by.

3. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Ive never known one to fly away, mine used to fly out of the fence and explore all day in the field next door but Never wonder far and always come in coop at night....it made me very nervous and I did lose a few to something, maybe a hawk ect? Now I have silkies and frizzled bantams and they can't fly out Yay and Im also putting my netting back up for the darn hawks

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    :welcomeChickens know where home is and I would not be real concerned about them "flying away." Attack by predators in the backyard is another story.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by