This is sad :(

Buckhunter76

Songster
7 Years
Apr 27, 2012
Brown County Ohio
I bought 10 of these from a farmer and the feet were messed up, does anyone know what causes this? And will it affect the bird? This is the only bird out of my flock like this. I purchased 4 of this kind and 6 of another.

Can be fixed fairly easily by making little cardboard or plastic shoes and attaching them with vet wrap. Just push the toes out flat & tape them down. Make your shoe as close to the size of the chicken's foot as possible so it doesn't trip over it. Could take anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks to correct. Just unwrap & check feet every day or 2.

As for causes, could have been the flooring they were on in the brooder or just the way they hatched.

Can be fixed fairly easily by making little cardboard or plastic shoes and attaching them with vet wrap. Just push the toes out flat & tape them down. Make your shoe as close to the size of the chicken's foot as possible so it doesn't trip over it. Could take anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks to correct. Just unwrap & check feet every day or 2.

As for causes, could have been the flooring they were on in the brooder or just the way they hatched.
Thanks, I'm gonna have to try it

Just remember, it will look like the shoes are making them worse until they get the hang of walking in them. Just compare it to someone wearing skates or heels for the 1st time...especially when they were still learning to walk to begin with.

You can fix them but it is unnecessary as long as the chicken can walk and scratch. It is from incubation effects. Totally harmless and not hereditary

Cool, thanks
smile.png

You can fix them but it is unnecessary as long as the chicken can walk and scratch. It is from incubation effects. Totally harmless and not hereditary
I agree 50% with Ed. It is most likely a result of 'incubation effects', but there can also be a genetic component to curled foot problems. The genetic defect is most likely to show up in inbred lines with a reduced gene pool.

Back
Top Bottom