This is so funny!

Sylviaanne

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Ozark, MO
I didn't mean to be mean to them. I have a cage of about 20 chicks in the other room and they were hollering and hollering and I couldn't figure out why. They have water and shouldn't be hungry. Anyways, I thought about giving them more food but they have made such a mess kicking it out of the feeders that I didn't want to give them more in the house. They are on a tarp, still, such a mess. So, I decided to give them wet food so they couldn't kick it as far. Got a large flatish dish and put chick starter in it, went to the sink and turned on the hot water. The hot water takes a while to reach the kitchen so I didn't think it would get very hot but I wanted it warm enough that the food would soak it right up. This was a glass dish and I carried it to the cage, opened it and put the food down, it didn't feel hot to me.

Everyone ran at it like they hadn't eaten in 3 days. Some of them hopped on top and then hopped down again. Suddenly, I realized that they were hopping up on it and starting to scratch at it and then hopping down rather quickly. I thought no, it couldn't have gotten that hot that fast but they kept hopping up and back down. Not the same ones, but like everyone had to try. It got a little funny but then I got concerned that if it were that hot, they could get burned. I opened the cage and stuck my finger into the food and it was pretty warm. Not hot enough to burn them but hot enough that it was NOT what they were expecting and were startled enough to hop back off. They are busy in there eating. Not so much noise now. The sounds are more contented than stressed now and the sounds are slowly fading out. I guess they were hungry after all.

how old are your chicks?
mine are just 2 weeks, and I was wondering if I could vary their food a little - making a mush for them might be the go (although I am sure it is only me who thinks they need a variety at this age - they probably couldn't care less)

how old are your chicks?
mine are just 2 weeks, and I was wondering if I could vary their food a little - making a mush for them might be the go (although I am sure it is only me who thinks they need a variety at this age - they probably couldn't care less)

Seven weeks and younger. I am by no means an expert or anything but I think that if you are feeding chick starter, giving it wet, once they know to look for food, shouldn't hurt them. I have even been advised to give boiled, peeled mashed egg to the newborns. Once they know to look for food.

Back
Top Bottom