This is the kind of town I live in, what a crock

* Unbelievable! Even if they don't intend to ever allow bird-keeping within Sanford, they could, at the very least, made a public request for geese adoptions OUTSIDE the city limits. These people are neanderthals!! (And I may be unintentionally insulting neanderthals! ~:[ )

Last edited:
It's sad to see things like this happen... Too bad they can't give them birth control or something to stop this from happening again...

This is a sad subject but... I read the article and this made me laugh out loud...

"We had several golfers reporting getting attacked and getting run off by geese as they were going for their balls,"

My little sister went nuts when they talked about doing this at her FIL's country club in the burbs of Atlanta a few years ago. I don't know the outcome, and I'm afraid to ask her.

OK, I'll be the voice of dissention here.

Until you've lived in a community where the geese are a massive problem, you can't understand how awful it is. I can understand and support this action. There's a pond near my house that has been so fouled by geese that there's no more life in it: no fish, no turtles, NOTHING but nasty green algae. Dogs that drink from the pond have died. And yet people keep on feeding the geese and the geese eat all the grass. Their sheer numbers have made their population unsustainable.

Canadian Geese are a protected species. As such, their numbers have increased exponentially. Because the winters in Seattle are so mild, the geese no longer migrate and are now a year-round menace. There are few natural predators. The geese bite people, chase dogs, befoul waterways, and poop on everything. I enjoy a few geese & ducks - heck, even a few seagulls - in parks but when they get to the point that their population can no longer be supported by the environment, they must be culled.

Perhaps one day all the chickens (or geese, or cats, or owls... etc.) will come together and decide that they need to remedy the problem of an exploding population of humans in their "gated community"? How can you blame a goose for frequenting a perfectly good pasture? It must really crack the critters up to see silly humans blowing wads of time chasing little balls around a field of food.

Quote:
That made me laugh too! Glad I wasn't the only one that caught that!
tongue.png

Somehow I didn't see or hear about this. Canada Geese are one of my absolutely favorite creatures and I despise it when actions like this are taken.

First of all, the geese are very protective of each other, a trait which I admire. Of course they will charge after anything that threatens their mate or nest!

Secondly, that "humanely euthanisizing them" is the only way to deal with them is bs. It's a fact that other geese will just come in to a nice place that has cleared land and an attractive body of water!
somad.gif

Thirdly, the population can be controlled by addleing (sp?) their eggs and they can be chased away by trained dogs.

I used to work at Blue Cross in Chapel Hill and they had a large fountain/pool in the front of the building. The geese did create a huge problem by pooping in the pool all the time which created something called mustard algae and it was expensive to control. Plus it was very sad that the new parents would lead their babies into the pool and the babies had no way of getting back out and they would die
sad.png

Anyway - Blue Cross contacted a really nice woman (nogeese.com) who brought her dogs out daily to chase the geese away. Eventually, the geese quit coming around so much.

Yes, Sanford is pretty behind the times with most issues - especially when it comes to anyting animal or environmentally related. Unfortunately, a lot of places are and it makes me crazy!!!!!
rant.gif

Back
Top Bottom