This is the only space i have, is it going to be enough ?

I have 5 cats and they come with me to feed the chickens and ducks they just walk through the chickens and if they even look sidewards at the chickens they get the evil eye from the chickens and they keep well away ,a friend of mine rescues cats she has about 41 cats and her chickens free range in her back garden with the cats with no problems!!!!!!

I would suggest you start out as 1-7days old chick. You can buy chick from different source or hatch yourself and wouldn't be a problem. They are getting along fine without pecking each other at this age. If you don't mind butcher the weak one or unwanted rooster, I would suggest 6 chicks. If you refer buying hen, then best to stay 4-5 that hatched the same time and same block. I introduced some young pullets to the block a few months ago and I wouldn't never want to do it again unless have too. The older hens are picking a lot with the new comer.

hallo from greece .i just finished my coop and run . i intend to keep 3-4 brahmas in a chicken house with a run 3,5m x 2,5 m and a coop area a bit less than a square meter. yours is alot smaler but i think that 3-4 bandam chckens will be fine .i try to keep a rule in my pens around 5 square meters of living space per bird for wild birds like pheasants and ducks and around 1,5 to 2 square meters living space per bird for domesticated birds .keeping your pens underpopulated makes maintenanche alot easier and your birds alot happier . based on my experienche with birds i can say they can be horible to each other sometimes and keeping them in large pens reduses hostility. also you have to keep in mind that birds will have families and all these need space

Good news !

I have found a couple of local ish breeders who keep different breeds of point of lay birds together.

So i should be able to have 4 different types of hen after all.
smile.png

As you can see i have made a start on the run.

First job finish off the concreate path around. ( no body is digging in or out of my run )
cool.png

75574_step_2.jpg

As you can see my green house backs on to the run. by placing a back door at the end of the run they will also have that to go in over winter.

I will put up a temporary fence on the lawn in the summer so they can stretch their legs.

All this & i'm not charging rent.

This weekend I will finish the path.

After that it will be time to get my hammer & nails out to make this wonder !

75574_my_run.jpg

Sure it will be a perfect copy !
roll.png

Wish me luck i'm going to need it.

Reg

Oh Reg - be careful. That would be just a perfect space to run a fence line (hardware mesh of course) from the wooden fence, right to the house. A simple door for you to get in and out, a low roof to keep out predators (I know you don't see them, but I would bet you have racoons and hawks), and the hens could have that whole back part of the yard. I can see you sitting outside in the yard for an hour or so of hen time every day!! Come on - let's give them the whole back yard....

Quote:
I learned from some folks on this forum about using course sand for the run and coop bottom. Works great and I use a cat litter scoop to clean... just scoop and shake all the poop stays in the scoop I just put it n a bucket and tote to my compost pile... also keeps smell down. Nice plus is you don't have to give grit because sand works the same. Nice coop by the way:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom