This is the only space i have, is it going to be enough ?

Quote:
As its a veg patch at present the ground is very good. I plan to turn it over from time to time to freshen it up. in time i will dig it out & swop it with flower bed soil.

As for fresh veg we have guinea pigs & they live like kings. Guess the hens will as well.

As for the fancy coop. it will keep the neighbours happy LOL

Thank you for your imput

Are you thinking of regular sized chickens/large fowl (LF)? Or perhaps bantam size? If you don't mind medium to small eggs several bantams could be an option. I have a mixed flock of 12 different breeds of large fowl. The variety doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

Quote:
Run is 8 x 6, coop is above ground as per photo so they can go underneath it.

I was thinking 4.

I was thinking of having 4 different breeds will this course any problems.

Coping the photograph will not be a problem. I work with wood for a living.

Thanks for your thoughts

Reg

Hey Reg,

I loved that little coop but I have to be honest because you asking-if your talking 4 Large fowl birds-then no they will not fit. I used it for 4 silkies and it got so dirty fast and they did not have alot of space-If you plan on building that run and having it open at all times with that much space then you might not have an issue. If you planned on locking them up in that little off the ground coop area-way to small:-( That's why I sold mine- looks were very decieving. Good luck but I doubt you'll need it because if you work with wood-you can make some serioussly nice coops with lots of space
thumbsup.gif

opps !

Thanks for you thoughts

Reg

Quote:
Run is 8 x 6, coop is above ground as per photo so they can go underneath it.

I was thinking 4.

I was thinking of having 4 different breeds will this course any problems.

Coping the photograph will not be a problem. I work with wood for a living.

Thanks for your thoughts

Reg

I have a feeling that what you build will be much prettier!

ETA, 4 different breeds is not an issue, but it's much easier if you raise the 4 as chicks, together.

Hey hey 2 mins ago i said i could make what you seein the photo, now you have me making some super coop !! ( Well i did have a couple of improvements in mind ) LOL

Thought about raising chicks but went off the idea. but see what you mean.

What do you do if you buy 4 birds from different places & they fight ? May not be able to get all 4 the same day !!

Thanks for your encouragement

Quote:
I'm afraid not as my first posting says 8 x 6 is the only space i have.

The run will have a roof.

As i said from Oct to feb they will be able to go tho into the greenhouse so weather should not drive them back into the coop.

The coop guidelines seem to restricked me to two hens.

Maybe i should just build another pond instead ?

I would suggest add a ladder (roost) on the right. This space allow the chicken roost at night during spring-summer so you don't need to clean the coop often. Also give them a chance to hang out during the day. Chicken do like to jump and resting on something couple feet high. You should be fine with 4-5 chickens.

Reg, if you make the run predator-proof, they won't have to be shut up in the coop. You can put plastic around the outside of the run in winter (search "ventilation" on the site for advice on that). They like to lay in private, so they'll like the coop for that, and they may want to sleep there.

Are you in the U.K.? You do have weasels there, don't you? If that's the case, you'd want to make the entire run of hardware cloth, attached to the wood with screws and washers, as well as a skirt of hardware cloth around it. That will keep out all the smaller predators.

You might want to put a slanted roof on, overhanging enough to shed water outside the run area. That will help keep it from being muddy.

Put in a couple of perches, and a big bowl of sand and wood ash for them to wallow in, and you'll have chicken heaven!

Yep i am in England, 30 miles north of London.

Foxes are our main pest. I have concrete path all round out side so no digging will be done. I am using 1/2 mesh so only a mouse will enter.

Still feel i should lock them away at night tho.

Would they ever come out of the coop after dark ?

I am putting a plinth all round bottom 6"

It will have a roof. clear for more light or dark i'm not sure about.

i'm sure i can keep them clean & healthy & well fed its just the space i worry about & it they start fighting.

Hoping to get run finished for march.

Then off to find point of lay birds.

How do chickens travel. will they be ok in a box for couple of hours ?

Thank you for taking the time to give me advice

Reg

I actually have that kit coop as one of mine. Six Jersey Giants lived there for their "grow-out" period, from 8 to 12 weeks. At 10 weeks, I let them out of the run to integrate with the rest of my flock. They've done some coop-hopping (as do most of my flock) and only two of them now reside inside that particular one at night. Nobody has joined them, but somebody has been laying eggs in the nest box, so I know the flock has thoroughly inspected its worthiness. I hung their feeder from the bottom edge of the inward side of the upstairs coop section, and hung a nipple waterer near the "people door" to the run.

3 hens for full time living would be my suggestion for that coop. They would greatly appreciate a roost in the run section, with ends attached to either side of the pen section.

Back
Top Bottom