This is the right choice but i feel, er... a little hesitant(my flock ramblings..)

Some know my flock situation but for those that don't, my last hatch brought forth 8 drakes
barnie.gif

I already own a few adult drakes so that was the last thing i needed, anyhow i successfully sold(well traded) one drake and gained 3 ducklings(girls) and was left with the rest of the boys and the one ducklet from our hatch. I had pretty much resolved myself to owning the boys permanently although still left an Ad up for there sale regardless.

In a bit of quirk, i got a reply that was positive, local guy interested in starting his own flock for pest control, he owns sheep/donkey etc.

So all my young drakes are going, all 7.. i feel a bit, unsettled i guess, this is the right choice but well, ya'know.. my little duck i am a bit worried about as she mainly hangs with her brothers but let's face facts come spring all heck will break loose, some are already being a bit jerky with her. I really love my blue boys, i only have a production white and a black drake but i cannot keep more boys, the flock isn't big enough, i only have 8 ducks.

I know this is for the best for the flock, long term but i feel, well hesitant, it's normal i kinda always feel this way when i sell birds but this is going to be a major reduction all at once, in the past it's been a single bird going. Definitely, going to feel odd and likely shock the flock overall at first.

whew, thanks for listening.
hugs.gif
No worries....I had to get rid of my first duck because he turned out to be a drake and was getting too rowdy with my chickens....I obtained 2 lovely females from a hatchery after which helped, but it was still hard to get rid of the guy...he was so friendly and we were all sort of attatched to him....your boys will be going to a good home it sounds like, my guy went to a lady at our local hatchery who loves him so I do know that he is doing better where he is, he even has a mate!

No worries....I had to get rid of my first duck because he turned out to be a drake and was getting too rowdy with my chickens....I obtained 2 lovely females from a hatchery after which helped, but it was still hard to get rid of the guy...he was so friendly and we were all sort of attatched to him....your boys will be going to a good home it sounds like, my guy went to a lady at our local hatchery who loves him so I do know that he is doing better where he is, he even has a mate!

Last edited:
I have three young birds who are leaving tomorrow to go to a new state (6 hour road trip by animal courier). So I kinda know how you feel. I feel sorry for them, because I know it'll be scary, and sorry for the two brothers who will be left behind, and who will be confused. But I know that they are going to a great home and they will settle in well.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I totally get where you are coming from :) It'll all be fine though. Ducks are adaptable, and they will settle in to their new home just fine. They'll be a bit out of their comfort zone at first, but soon the unfamiliar will be familiar.

With your girl that is left alone, do you have a plan for integrating her into the flock? Buddying her with one of your older birds for a while?

I have three young birds who are leaving tomorrow to go to a new state (6 hour road trip by animal courier). So I kinda know how you feel. I feel sorry for them, because I know it'll be scary, and sorry for the two brothers who will be left behind, and who will be confused. But I know that they are going to a great home and they will settle in well.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I totally get where you are coming from :) It'll all be fine though. Ducks are adaptable, and they will settle in to their new home just fine. They'll be a bit out of their comfort zone at first, but soon the unfamiliar will be familiar.

With your girl that is left alone, do you have a plan for integrating her into the flock? Buddying her with one of your older birds for a while?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom