This is the week! My chicks will go outside!

Witchychickens

Chirping
Oct 30, 2023
Central MA
My girls will be going out this week, they’re just about 7 weeks and feathered.

It’s going to be raining Weds-Sun :( They have a covered run and I will plan to leave the coop open for them during the day. My plan is to take them outside for the day and then return them to their brooding pen at night. Should I add hours of outdoor time in increments? Like Tuesday, 4 hours, add an hour each day? They’ve only been outside 3 times for a short duration as I didn’t have anywhere safe to contain them, yet.

If I leave to run an errand, should I return them to their coop or let them stay in their run? It’s predator proof and covered but I’m still nervous.

We have a 4 foot fence around the garden space they’re in, there is a hardware cloth apron around their whole run and coop, my husband enclosed the base of the coop in HWC and put metal around the lower edges of the coop and under about 12 inches and my yard is enclosed in a 6 foot privacy fence. We also have a GSD who probably scares everything away and is outside pretty much all day long unless it’s gross out.

My girls will be going out this week, they’re just about 7 weeks and feathered.

It’s going to be raining Weds-Sun :( They have a covered run and I will plan to leave the coop open for them during the day. My plan is to take them outside for the day and then return them to their brooding pen at night.
Should I add hours of outdoor time in increments? Like Tuesday, 4 hours, add an hour each day? They’ve only been outside 3 times for a short duration as I didn’t have anywhere safe to contain them, yet.

If I leave to run an errand, should I return them to their coop or let them stay in their run? It’s predator proof and covered but I’m still nervous.

We have a 4 foot fence around the garden space they’re in, there is a hardware cloth apron around their whole run and coop, my husband enclosed the base of the coop in HWC and put metal around the lower edges of the coop and under about 12 inches and my yard is enclosed in a 6 foot privacy fence. We also have a GSD who probably scares everything away and is outside pretty much all day long unless it’s gross out.

Yes get them out.... What do you mean by brooder pen? I would pick a day your home all day, take them out first thing and put them in the coop and lock it up for a few hours til around noon. Let them explore their new coop. Then open the door to the run...and enjoy the show. 🙂
Coax them/herd them into the coop well before dusk so they got time to get settled down as night falls. Lock it all up.

Your done. 👍

Yes get them out.... What do you mean by brooder pen? I would pick a day your home all day, take them out first thing and put them in the coop and lock it up for a few hours til around noon. Let them explore their new coop. Then open the door to the run...and enjoy the show. 🙂
Coax them/herd them into the coop well before dusk so they got time to get settled down as night falls. Lock it all up.

Your done. 👍
They’re in a tented “brooder” with a folding dog pool in my basement. Zero heat for almost 4 weeks.

So I don’t need to take them back inside at night and slowly acclimate them?

It was in the high 50s here when I did it, but I think they should be fine outside at night if they have an enclosed coop to go into.
BTW, I had to physically put my chicks into the coop at night, they didn’t “get it” on their own ☹️

It was in the high 50s here when I did it, but I think they should be fine outside at night if they have an enclosed coop to go into.
BTW, I had to physically put my chicks into the coop at night, they didn’t “get it” on their own ☹️
the low temp for night this week is 45, most nights it’s going to be 50s +. The coop is insulated and there is a nook under the poop shelf. I’m going to put a cardboard box under there for them as I assume they may not roost yet. I could put them on the roost every night.

Tbh, I cannot wait to go out and talk in my chicken mom voice and put each one in the coop and remind them of their names and tell them they’re the goodest girls ever and night night. 😂😂😂😍

Nook under poop shelf with 3 year old for scale 😂

Attachments

• BA62A4C7-B06D-4E93-8C2E-551B06D344A7.jpeg
    BA62A4C7-B06D-4E93-8C2E-551B06D344A7.jpeg
    460.8 KB · Views: 4
  • EE5A74B8-EA74-41EC-93C0-77991F3446E1.jpeg
    EE5A74B8-EA74-41EC-93C0-77991F3446E1.jpeg
    391.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom