This is why I prefer to raise my own chickens...

Same here. The chickens get fresh air and sunshine, and are not overcrowded.

While the subject of salmonella contamination is far from funny, I enjoyed the journalist's sense of humor. The kids are still giggling about "intergluteal clefts".

While the subject of salmonella contamination is far from funny, I enjoyed the journalist's sense of humor. The kids are still giggling about "intergluteal clefts".
I did too!
Thanks for sharing @bobbi-j !

Butt seriously.....wonders about the strain of salmonella found.
There are many strains, even in BY flocks, so just because 'homegrown' doesn't mean totally 'safe'. Many of the salmonella outbreaks have been traced back to BY flocks, and the mishandling(lack of good common sense) of that situation.
Some of the salmonella strains in poultry production plants can become more deadly via mutation.....learned about this a couple years ago while researching a salmonella contamination in a meat plant on the west coast that happened a decade or so ago.

Salmonella is NEVER a problem if you cook your eggs.....
Here some criminals (Don't have other words for them!) Eggs producing use ARSENIC based drugs to control phatogens in their bbattery, AGAINST any governmental regulations! Comper to ARSENIC salmonella is a Sunday walk.

I did too!
Thanks for sharing @bobbi-j !

Butt seriously.....wonders about the strain of salmonella found.
There are many strains, even in BY flocks, so just because 'homegrown' doesn't mean totally 'safe'. Many of the salmonella outbreaks have been traced back to BY flocks, and the mishandling(lack of good common sense) of that situation.
Some of the salmonella strains in poultry production plants can become more deadly via mutation.....learned about this a couple years ago while researching a salmonella contamination in a meat plant on the west coast that happened a decade or so ago.
I agree that salmonella can happen in BY flocks as well. I just don’t think it’s as big of a problem as with the commercial operations. Maybe it’s just because you don’t hear about it if it does happen. At least with my own flock I don’t have to worry about some stranger scratching his “Intergluteal Cleft” and then touching my eggs.

Back
Top Bottom