This isn't normal.

On these public forums (and yes it is totally public to our govt) we may want to refrain being so haphazard as to throw out the names of diseases that are ridiculous guesses for a chicken that simply falls into a deep sleep and doesn't hold its head up. This bird, correct me if I am wrong, is YOUNG and I don't know how skilled any of you really are, but have you hatched eggs, have you brooded chicks? The chicks stretch out and are practically on their side under the heat source while they sleep.

Newcastles is a serious disease and was found about 6 months ago or so again down near Tijuana and one thing to remember about the US govt is that they will ACT first and ask questions later. So if you are begging to have all your birds killed without any warning or questions being asked, then continue to throw around uneducated comments that include the names of diseases like this. Let's just give the govt something to search for so easily. Sadly they will kill ALL the birds within quite a wide radius as well, regardless of whether they have it or not because of possible exposure and outbreak.

Let's actually think a little more on these forums and if someone really believes a deep sleeping bird is some deadly disease, send the poster a private message and have them read up on the disease. Better yet, take the bird for a blood test, this whole 'WebMD' mentality and diagnosing ourselves we have these days is what is causing all the weekend warrior doctors to do nothing more than create nonsense and panic.

Your bird is fine.

Last edited:
I agree.. she just goes into a deep sleep and its whats comfortable to her.. i have a hen that snores in her sleep. another one that sleeps with her head under the wing of her sister.. and I have a dog that sleeps on her back like a person all night long.

just keep an eye for her so that she doesn't fall off the roost and hurt herself. and enjoy your funky chicken..

)O(
Pink

Quote:
Again, I read this, what photo are we talking about? I see a picture of a dogs head in the lower right corner, a very nice green lawn, a girl almost cut all the way out of the picture on the left side, and then a white silkie and a white ameraucana....both of which look 100% fine. So what is all this hype and panic for nothing?

Last edited:
Quote:
Am I the only one who does not see a sleeping chicken, but in fact one that is running in the yard with a friend?

Exactly, so how did this picture turn into newcastle disease? And there are still people that wonder why BYC is thought of as a joke.

Last edited:
Quote:
A bird that eats, drinks, would never be looked at as being sick, sleeps on a roost at night normally.....but happens to relax during the day and just doze off (kind of like maybe feeling so well protected and comfortable in its new home) ..... and the person you obtained the birds from is on this forum. Something tells me if that member sees this post, it will be the last time they allow you to take any birds from them because this could have easily turned into all the 'experts' badmouthing someone as if they have sick birds.

I had a little polish roo that did the same thing for a while. I called him Weirdo. He was so strange, but not sick (other than in the head lol).

Thank you for all your responses. I truly was posting a picture at first ( some how I changed it in trying to show everyone how fine she is) just to show you this weird way my chicken sleeps. It was only to see if others had a chicken that did the same thing. We think it is so funny when she does it. Then I got this post that started to freak me out. I am new to raising chickens so it started to worry me when someone posted New Castle Disease. Anyway she is just acting like a normal chicken again today and I'm very happy. I now have gained some info on that illness that chickens can get. So I'm glad for that. Farmer Tom my intent was never to mention who it was that I got my chicken from. I PMed them last night in private to ask if any of their birds were sick and told them about my post. I love the birds I got from them and would never want to bad mouth anyone over something that wouldn't have even been their fault if it would have been New Castle Disease. I hope they will sell to me again because I got some beautiful chickens! Thanks again for the help.

Quote:
Again, I read this, what photo are we talking about? I see a picture of a dogs head in the lower right corner, a very nice green lawn, a girl almost cut all the way out of the picture on the left side, and then a white silkie and a white ameraucana....both of which look 100% fine. So what is all this hype and panic for nothing?

X 2. I didnt see any odd looking chicken!

It sounds like you have a chicken that sleeps weird!
smile.png

I agree with farmer teds posts, It upsets me to see others say its some sort of serious disease when they have no symptoms or facts for that matter. She is 100% fine and such a beauty. It could be if she is out in the yard in the sunlight when she does this she is sun bathing, it will freak you out when you see all your chickens laid out playing dead when in fact they are just soaking up the sun. Or it could be she just has an odd way of holding her head when she sleeps. Chickens are like people, they all have different habits just like we do
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom