This looks suspiciously like a drake curl, doesn't it?

lina500

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Cambodia
This is from one of my new baby ducks, they are a little under 6 weeks old (I think) and they were all sold to me as female. Now three of the four of them have this curl, and the fourth looks like it might get one, too! 6 weeks seems way too young to be getting a drake curl, they aren't even fully feathered yet or making adult noises. But this is a drake curl, right?

This is from one of my new baby ducks, they are a little under 6 weeks old (I think) and they were all sold to me as female. Now three of the four of them have this curl, and the fourth looks like it might get one, too! 6 weeks seems way too young to be getting a drake curl, they aren't even fully feathered yet or making adult noises. But this is a drake curl, right?
Looks like a drake curl to me. I think its a boy!

They don't get drake feathers till around 15 weeks give or take. I would hold off freaking out just yet because they will loose all those feathers in the in the next few weeks once they come in. Are you hearing any quacks or just peeps?

No quacks yet, but a lot of noises that sound pretty male, although still entirely in the duckling pitch. I am fairly hysterical about it because we have too many males as it is, and this was supposed to be the solution for that.
hu.gif

My pekin Ducks are 2 months old. 2 quack super loud and one has a raspy chrip. I think that one is a boy and the ones that quack are girls. Does this one quack or just have a raspy chrip?

Quick update, it was a drake curl. All four "girls" turned out to be boys, and look very much like silver appleyards.

Love the 2 photo bombers in the back! LOL! What kind of goose is that on the left? They're both gorgeous! Is your feathered family doing okay with all the drakes?

They are both Chinese crosses. We ended up keeping one drake and rehoming the other three. The one we kept we still haven't named because we are on the fence about having more than one drake. We currently have 12 ducklings, four muscovies that are about six weeks old, two pekin-type that are seven weeks old, and six muscovies that are a few days old. All of the muscovies technically belong to a farmer friend, so I am raising them and get to keep the ones I want, and give him back the other ones. Hoping for girls.

Back
Top Bottom