This may be a stupid question.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tcal, Jan 2, 2009.

1. tcal

tcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama
    OK, hens lay about an egg a day (a little less now with the reduced daylight) without a rooster. Now, my stupid question, do the lay more than one at a time WITH a rooster? If so, at hatching time do they hatch one a day?[​IMG]

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I don't believe that a rooster has any effect on egg productions. Also The hen will lay eggs for days then start to sit on them. They don't start developing until she sits on them so they all hatch around the same time.

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Nope. The egg laying is independent of the rooster. The frequency has to do with the amount of daylight. I believe one per day is the most they do. Mine are laying one every three days right now, although that should improve as the days get longer.

When they lay to hatch, the eggs don't start developing until the hen starts incubating them. They just sit in stasis sort of. They'll all hatch on or about the same day.

Welcome to BYC!
    [​IMG]

4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    They may actually lay less with a rooster. He chases them around all the time, and it is quite tiring to fend off a rooster, so then tay don't have what it takes to lay.
    A broody hen waits to sit until she has a "clutch" of eggs and then will sit on them pretty much non stop. So the eggs all hatch about 21 days after she stays on the nest. She will get off once or twice a day to poop and eat and drink.

My mother always said: there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. If you had to ask it, then it is a valid question.

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    A rooster does not increase egg laying, all he does is fertilize the eggs.

6. tcal

tcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Thank ya'll so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by