This may be wierd,but are chickens color blind?!?!?!?!

kart_chicks

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 2, 2007
This is kinda wierd. It just popped in my head. Are chickens color blind?
hu.gif
I really would like to know.

P.S. I am a new member so I am going to have alot of questions.
woot.gif

Nope they can see color, that's why the roosters are so brightly colored and glossy they use their color to attract hens. Also helps them pick out their food when they are foraging.

Last edited:
Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

They do have excellent eye sight. They can see the tiniest bug in the grass or dirt! At night its a different story. It seems they can not see, and just stay put. You can walk right up to them and pick them up, even if they are not friendly, especially on really dark nights.

nope, the little varmints can see the teeniest tiniest things (like a freckle, or a tiny little owie that they just HAVE to pick at on your ankle
lol.png
) and if one has an injury that looks red, the others will pick at it. They have EXCELLENT eyesight, and they can see color. Mine do seem to be particularly attracted to red; they LOVE strawberries and tomatoes and red apples.
big_smile.png

No, they definitely see colors. After you've had chickens for a bit, you'll see how they respond to colors. I almost never have polish on my fingernails or toenails, but when I do put on red polish, boy, do I regret it! The chickens think I've brought them a tasty treat!
Also, for the science fair at school, my daughter colored chicken feed with food coloring, and offered the hens two different colors at a time. With many different tests, over many days, she had quite a bit of data. They absolutely had preferences! They mobbed the feed colored with red or green, stepping right over the feed colored with other colors.
By the way, she won first prize in her category!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom