this might be a stupid question but...

FrannyLW

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2018
Central NJ
are chickens smart enough that they know there is food in this container? (attached picture).
I gave them this approx. 2 weeks ago and I think I only saw the smaller duck put his head into it. I did have it higher but then the smaller ducks couldn't reach in. I never saw any of the chickens put their head in it, Not saying they aren't but I haven't seen it and have not had to put any food in this bin yet
feeder.jpg

Can I have it since you're not using it? And why would chickens be interested in it if you didn't put any food in it?

My smallest bird is my smartest :love if you haven't had to fill it yet then they probably don't know. You should just reach into the bucket and throw out food, they will probably get it then.

I think they need to be able to see in it at first to get the idea.

It is pretty low and the rain guard will block their view.

It also looks like it would be very awkward for them to angle their necks to see in or eat.

ok I will raise it tomorrow morning. Guess the smaller ducks (I have 2) will have to figure out other ways to get food. Oh, everymorning when I throw out a cup of treats I always throw some treats into the openings.

I use stepping stones like aart posted for my bantam hens.

You will need to watch to make sure they learn to use them.

I don't have ducks but have read many many times that they need more niacin than chicken feed has.....just something to research.

I use stepping stones like aart posted for my bantam hens.

You will need to watch to make sure they learn to use them.

I don't have ducks but have read many many times that they need more niacin than chicken feed has.....just something to research.
I've heard that too I have to do some research, cause the chickens are always stealing the food from the duck bowl also. Would it hurt the chicken if they consumed it.

Back
Top Bottom