This one Duck

holsdad

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2021
I have this one duck who kicks off when I move anywhere in the garden or when I open the back door, is this an age thing, 11 weeks old now and she just seems more scared than the rest.

Any suggestions, thanks very much.

Ducks frequently go through a 'scared' spell when they are teenaged. She should grow out of it.
Thanks very much, she seems to be the one who tells me she wants treats but it does seem like she is scared mostly, a wailing banshee or an old woman cackling.

Thanks very much, she seems to be the one who tells me she wants treats but it does seem like she is scared mostly, a wailing banshee or an old woman cackling.
Try gently, slowly tossing treats on the ground whenever she sees you. Within reason, she should mostly be eating balanced duck food. You want her to associate you with snacks. This in addition to hanging out not moving. Pay attention to anything that scares her and avoid doing it. My ducks are afraid of ladders. Most ducks are afraid of direct eye contact and being walked directly towards, so avoid that, too.

Try gently, slowly tossing treats on the ground whenever she sees you. Within reason, she should mostly be eating balanced duck food. You want her to associate you with snacks. This in addition to hanging out not moving. Pay attention to anything that scares her and avoid doing it. My ducks are afraid of ladders. Most ducks are afraid of direct eye contact and being walked directly towards, so avoid that, too.
Just saw this post, thank you very much it is very informative, the window cleaner they didn't like was one instance, they are slowly relaxing, walking towards them yes totally agree, I'm the cleaner and the treat giver but they do kick off when I directly approach them.

I hatched 5 ducks, There maybe is 2 boys would this be ok or is 2 to 3 girls a no?

Back
Top Bottom