This place is so bad for me

that is so cute it's puke worthy
Thats gotta be something only a Canadian would say...
hugs.gif

When we lost 3 of our ducklings early on- that was really hard. It was a rough lesson for the kids. But I think for us a good one. Not fun at all though. I don't think we'd ever get used to it either. I'm sorry for all your losses. <3

I'm sorry to hear that. We pretty much starting the lose wagon when we let them breed. With the exception of one of our original ducks at 1yo.. she died with no cause/explanation. Since we've always owned animals, the kids have learned often about the loss aspect but this duck/poultry concept seems to have more than it's fair share .. to think i thought fish were bad lol

awe i can honestly say i have never seen one before! Thanks for sharing!
I didn't know about them before BYC. They are just so adorable I've thought of adding some next year.
Oh gosh, that would be awful! as i said i am glad one of our ducklings has survived that brings hope but man, it's so hard to lose one.. they are so small and helpless you feel so darn accountable.
Yes they're so helpless it's hard to not feel like it's all your fault. However, I'm 90 % percent sure that hatch had issues due to the deadly crested gene. Which is why I no longer breed with crested ducks or ducks that carry the gene.

I didn't know about them before BYC. They are just so adorable I've thought of adding some next year.
Yes they're so helpless it's hard to not feel like it's all your fault. However, I'm 90 % percent sure that hatch had issues due to the deadly crested gene. Which is why I no longer breed with crested ducks or ducks that carry the gene.

Oh really? that's too bad... it looks like it could go horribly wrong given it's an actual hole..

Oh really? that's too bad... it looks like it could go horribly wrong given it's an actual hole..
Yes I believe so since every single one had a seizure in the exact same matter before it died I believe it was neurological. At that time my dominant drake was a crested. I think there's a lot more to the crested gene to be discovered that is currently known.

Which is one reason I won't use our hatchery grade crested runner for breeding. We kept him because we love him. The crests look silly and awesome- but the baggage it comes with when breeding just isn't worth it to me. Not to mention that runner in particular does not stand upright like a better quality runner. So he is a pet for life and that's it. Although when it comes time for breeding it ought to be interesting trying to figure out how to keep my drakes from mixing and matching. Another reason why we are closing the flock while we figure out more advanced housing etc and what breeds we want to continue with.

Which is one reason I won't use our hatchery grade crested runner for breeding. We kept him because we love him. The crests look silly and awesome- but the baggage it comes with when breeding just isn't worth it to me. Not to mention that runner in particular does not stand upright like a better quality runner. So he is a pet for life and that's it. Although when it comes time for breeding it ought to be interesting trying to figure out how to keep my drakes from mixing and matching. Another reason why we are closing the flock while we figure out more advanced housing etc and what breeds we want to continue with.
He sounds a lot what I'm doing with Bruce. The Sneaky goose who decided to hide eggs better the week I was sick
th.gif
. However, your a very responsible owner! I wish I would have been well prepared like you were when I first started ducks.

Back
Top Bottom