This question will show me as a real newby. Is a rooster necessary for

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ken H, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Ken H

Ken H Songster

May 21, 2009
    hens to start laying eggs. I thought the hens would lay regardless, just the eggs would'nt be fertilized. My wife says a rooster is required for any egg laying to occur. Can't find the answer in a general search. Help!

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    You get to silently revel in the fact that your wife is wrong about something!!! A roo is NOT necessary for egg production... [​IMG]

Notice I said "silently".....Especially cause this will be the first time your wife was EVER wrong about something, and only because it's a subject she wasn't familiar with....[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  3. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    They will lay with no Rooster! I have had people I work with try to tell me you have to have a Rooster to get eggs...I have three hens that lay an egg each everyday with no roo...

Edited for grammar!

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I think there are quite a few people that think that way. However you are right... this time!

5. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Not to thread jack, but why is your avatar a bar code?

6. JenEric Farms

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    JenEric Farms, as in generic (ever bought generic food...it comes in a white box with only a barcode) jen is my name and eric is my husband...

7. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Aha....how clever....I deduced with my super intelligence that the Jen + Eric meant "generic" but not the barcode part....LOL!

ETA: "super intelligence", not "intelligent"....see, I got me some smarts....

8. JenEric Farms

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    "super intelligence"...i love it...

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Hi Ken H, [​IMG] from South Carolina!

There's no such thing as a dumb question- we have all had to learn at some point. And Mrs. Ken H, no rooster needed for eggs, only if you want fertilized eggs.

10. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Songster

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I had a guy who has raised chickens for eggs for 10 years tell me that having a rooster will cause the chickens eggs to have blood spots in them. and this is from a chicken guy!!!!

Roosters are only needed for procreation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: