this right thread? incoming summer, so hot, what I do? last summer a chicken died

juangotachicken

Songster
Mar 4, 2020
yeah in the summer here, its so hot, last summer a chicken died

what can I do?

I have 4 waterers, do I buy a fan and put it in the shed I dont know if threre are plugs there, also scared if it goes on fire

help please on what people do so they dont die

I dont know how to give the tempreature of last january, december, but its way hot

I have 7 chickens I think

Some things I do to keep my hens cool: I bought a cheap mister at a local hardware store, they don’t necessarily enjoy hanging around it but a couple times a day I’ll lure them under it with some scratch and it does help. I also freeze a can of corn and some raspberries as a treat, they absolutely love it.
I make sure their water is always cold by putting a frozen water bottle in it. I’m not sure what else to suggest but I hope that helps.

Adding your general location to your profile will help people give more targeted advice (for example, a mister works well in a hot dry climate but increasing the humidity makes things worse in a hot humid climate). :)

I live in the USA's steamy southeast, where 95/95 weather (95 degrees Fahrenheit and 95% humidity), can be expected frequently through the summer months.

First, I chose my breeds carefully to get ones known to deal well with these conditions.

Second, ventilation, ventilation, ventilation. While it's often advised to have 1 square foot of opening per chicken, my standard is that it shouldn't be any hotter inside than out.

Third, shade. In my temporary location until our house is placed I put a picnic fly up over my coop to keep it cooler midday.

Fourth, water. I have two waterers just in case they dump one while I'm out.

Fifth, I've been giving them electrolyte once a week as per @aart 's excellent advice.

:)

I've been giving them electrolyte once a week as per @aart 's excellent advice.
Here's the details:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-hot-weather-spiel.75893/

Adding your general location to your profile
Here's how....
1599046220279.png

hi thanks, sorry didnt reply stiaght away, so stressed

I dont feel comfy ptung my location

the chikens got a big shed for shade

Ill try put a frosen water bottle in the watrer thing, Illr ead the links

thanks

I live in a hot humid summer climate. In addition to the things already suggested on really hot days I wet down the ground in the early morning in the places where the chickens stay in hot weather. They like to make a dent in the ground and get as close to the cooler earth as they can. If the ground is damp then more heat can go from their bodies into the ground. Best are places that are in shade all day, second best are places that are in shade in the afternoon. Another idea is letting them make mud puddles with cool water in the afternoon. By afternoon the water supply in the chicken run is hot, so I water in the morning when the water is cool.

Is the shed their coop?is it well ventilated? I live in west texas where we frequently got to 120. Our coop has huge ventilation, they have deep shade under the coop and part of the run is covered, shallow pool with cool water to stand in, cool drinking water changed out multiple times a day, and every night I froze a tub of ice then put it in the pool to melt throughout the day. Some would stand on it, peck at it, lay on it. All 11 of my girls survived our horrible heat.

ok, so add water on ground were they hang about

also the dirt bath ? I shhould put water in the area if they are dirt bathing?

Back
Top Bottom