This subject has probly been beat to death....but....

Quote:
Perhaps you're in a sufficiently different part of N Central Pa. that you've got a milder climate, but I have an uncle in the Harrison Valley area, and chickens *there* would sure have to spend significant long stretches indoors (or just popping out to remind themselves what snow, wind and subzero temps are). So unless you are in some 'banana belt' part of that region, I would really recommend a run that can be partly or totally covered
wink.png

Have fun,

Pat

I agree, I'm in upstate NY too, near Buffalo, and although I don't have my birds yet, my neighbor's are out all the time, even in a lot of snow. They are bantams, too, not heavies. Chickens can adapt really well to their environments.

Im very near Harrison Valley, but it doesnt get that bad here. It's really been mild since the late 90's here. It gets into the single digits once in awhile, but from what I've read on the Orps they should be able to handle our weather here. I saw a fella today had about 15 of his outside and it's chilly out... they didnt seem to mind, they were peckin away at the ground.

Well, I've got to tell you, that covered run sounds mighty fine to me. I've had to shovel the run about 3 maybe 4 times this year, and that's been enough for me! I'll keep doing it, but I think covered is going to happen at some point. At least part covered for shade.

I use wood lattice (the stuff ppl use around the bottoms of decks) on top of my outside run. Blocks the snow, gives great shade, but it isn't completely dark, plus it's great for hanging waterers and feeders. The holes are already there!

I agree with Pat and SpeckledHen re. the minimum size. I think 4ftsq is an absolutle minimum. When it comes to building/housing chickens, I think we get carried away with wanting to save on cost and size. It really doesn't cost much more to add some square footage. If the labor is free, I say...buy a little more material, and make the hens, and yourself, more comfortable with the whole endeavor!
Brian

When you're saying 4 sf/bird, is that for the coop only, or does that include run area, too? I have an 8x8 coop, plus an 8x20 run with 13 chickens. It seems like enough room, but I would like to get a few more (18 total). Would that be too crowded? I live in N. Cal foothills, so we get some snow, but not deep and not often, so they go outside most every day. Thanks for helping to clear this up for me.

Liz

Well, it's 4 sq. ft for heavy breeds, and a good overall number. However, if you have some light breeds, like leghorns, sex-links, etc, then 3 sq ft is ok. batams require 2 sq feet. I'm thinking about putting a second story in my coop to allow from more hens
lol.png

The 4 sq feet per bird is coop floor space only. The optimum space for standard size chickens is 10 square feet per bird, which can include an outdoor run area. We have 10 Sq indoor space because in 2 feet of snow, most chickens will not venture out. It is somewhat dependent on the breed, but most cases they won't bother. I even shovel paths in deep snow for our birds so they can get around. The orps won't go out, however my EEs will fly from one path to the next. But if someone misses their mark, they'll stand in that deep snow waiting for a rescue. And in bitter freezing temps, I don't even open the coops. They are perfectly happy with the extra space inside and appreciate the minimal draft on cold windy days. Winters can be rough here, so I find it's better to be prepared for lockdown if necessary.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom